PIKE FLY FISHING

STEVE PARSONS

STEVE PARSONS:

Does anyone who deliberately flyfishes for PIKE use this forum?

Leon, who writes a bit for this site, bought some a while back. I'm not sure how he got on with them, though. I'm sure that Jackmaster must have indulged, too.

I'll see if I can get someone to post to this thread.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest NickInTheNorth

The important things when fly fishing for pike are:

a) location

B) safety

The best venues tend to be places where you can easily fish close to the bank. The main reason is that you need to be fishing big, and therefore relatively heavy flies. Forget trying to cast long distances, you are going to be very lucky to cast your fly 15yds.

The fly wants to be BIG say 4 to 6 inches, try something either white, or yellow, and with lots of sparkle. You need quite a heavy rod and line to turn the fly over, and you definately need a wire trace.

I used to fly fish for pike on the leeds liverpool canal with quite a bit of success. Just used to wander along the tow path and cast near any visible fish, or failing that I would work the fly past any likely looking features.

I never caught any real monsters, the best I took on fly was 12lb 2oz.

Be careful, make sure you are wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes when you are casting, the hooks are very big, very heavy, and would do you a lot of damage particularly in your eye. Forget normal fly casting technique, slow it down, and go for careful and accurate presentation rather than distance.

Have fun, and keep us posted on your results.

hi

i fly fish for Pike fairly regually and have had reasonable success. Will be willing ot help, post, or email me if you need any help

nick

more people then you imagine fly fish for pike, I go on the canal,covering as much water as possible. the canal i fish has reed beds on much of the far bank. best fish 10lb.A 9 or 10 weight line is best for casting the big flies.although i also catch well on #2 clouser minnows (taken from the saltwater box )

looking forward to trying some popper fishing this summer when the trout are off the feed.

Bob C

I do a bit of piking with the fly rod. I use a 9ft 10 wt fast action rod, with a large arbor disc drag reel. Dahlberg divers in white or chartreuse are my favorite flys, but very large muddlers, variouse large saltwater streamers, mouse and frog patterns also do the job.

A fast, bubbly retrive is often the thing, although in cold water, a sinking streamer with a slower retrieve will often do better.

• 9 years later...