Camera gear and gadgets price rise.

Steve Randles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...weak-pound.html

Explains it a little...

Steve...:)

Looks like I have just 'squeaked in' with the purchase of my EX Sigma 10-20-DHSM. One suspect that 'Second Hand' prices are following the upward trend, certainly on fleeBay, this and like lenses, are going for between £280 and £300. Which is strange, look in the S/H listings made by shops in the back of magazines, the Sigma 10-20 seems to be about £250-£265. I count myself lucky, purchasing mine at the lower end of the scale, and got a 3 months guarantee, noted on the receipt by the shop. FleeBay gives me the feeling it is going :huh: . . . has gone the way of boot sales, 'no more bargains'. Although, the incidentals still seem to be good value, things like filters, lens caps etc. I purchased a couple of 77mm filters and a 'centre pinch' lens cap, don't you hate the 'edge pinch' Jobie's that cant be fitted or removed with the hood in place :doh:

Excellent service, placed the order at 11am yesterday Tues., the postie delivered it at 11 o'clock this morning, 24 hours from Brixham to Ipswich, condition is at least as stated, 'excelent+'. I will be keeping Mifsuds of Brixham on my live list :thumbs:

All I need is some decent weather at the weekend and for the UV filter to arive by Friday! :bounce:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

You'd think so wouldnt you. I certainly wont be buying anything else from them anymore, despite spending £10K plus there over the years.

Mifsuds are quite pricey on the lens - £479. Bristol cameras have them for £372 with £10 postage! :o

Yes, I looked at Mifsuds 'New equipment' prices, seem to be average to a little high, but the used stuff, that seems much better.

I bought my brand new, 'Sigma 70-300HSM-Apo' last year from Bristol cameras, best price by a mile at the time, and got £72 for the old (very old!) non 'HSM 70-300' one on fleeBay! Its a matter of shopping around these days, find out who is desperate and wants to shift some gear . . . cynical . . . its a tough world at the moment B)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brumagem Phil

Been eyeing up the D300 and 18-200 zoom combo but decided against it at the moment as both the camera and lens have put on almost 100 quid each! :angry:

Wish i'd realised the price rise was coming as i'd have bought all the gear before xmas with money earmarked for other things as a temporary measure as in the long run it'd have saved me around 350 quid i reckon. :2:

Question for you........what do people think of this refurbished stuff that floats around from what appear to be reputable dealerships? Is it worth having a look as a brief look at ebay through up a D300 body at 800 quid refurbished with a years warranty.

I'm in no rush and the credit crunch is making the sale of the items i have to fund the camera purchase slow anyway (an omega james bond, an omega seamaster and a tag formula1(all brand new and unworn)) so happy for now to sit and wait. I may even consider an eos 40D and lenses as i'm thinking with my lack of expertise i'm unlikely to know the difference but the canon package does look good value.

I could really do with some input on this guys!!!! *****grovels and asks nicely*****

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Been eyeing up the D300 and 18-200 zoom combo but decided against it at the moment as both the camera and lens have put on almost 100 quid each! :angry:

Wish i'd realised the price rise was coming as i'd have bought all the gear before xmas with money earmarked for other things as a temporary measure as in the long run it'd have saved me around 350 quid i reckon. :2:

Question for you........what do people think of this refurbished stuff that floats around from what appear to be reputable dealerships? Is it worth having a look as a brief look at ebay through up a D300 body at 800 quid refurbished with a years warranty.

I'm in no rush and the credit crunch is making the sale of the items i have to fund the camera purchase slow anyway (an omega james bond, an omega seamaster and a tag formula1(all brand new and unworn)) so happy for now to sit and wait. I may even consider an eos 40D and lenses as i'm thinking with my lack of expertise i'm unlikely to know the difference but the canon package does look good value.

I could really do with some input on this guys!!!! *****grovels and asks nicely*****

As far as new on eBay is concerned, I have recently been looking for a lens. Wow!! found one at £280 :clap2: then you look at the p&p £50!!!! which brings it up to the standard or more than I could get it at the local photo shop. My feeling on eBay is 'buyer be very awar' on items that are techie, expensive and might just need the 'Gtee' at some time???

As far as referb gear is concerned, I went this rout 12 months ago with a Nikon D80 :doh: Never again, the white ballance was way off, took it back, give the shope credit, no fuss, changed it for a new one, although I had to cough up the extra . . . is it ruse I ask???

I did find my lense, in a UK shop, used, with 3 months 'Gtee', £249 +£8 p&p, it pays to scour the magazines, magnifying glass essential :lol: Equaly, fleeBay have provided filters, batteries and the like at good prices, non technical, simple to post from USA or Honkong.

pays your money . . . etc. SW