Legering on rivers

mjbarnes12

Right, as you may/may not be aware I am a complete novice when it comes to river fishing - especially in the winter months!! I fancy hitting the teme/severn meet this sunday with the feeder/leger could anyone please give me some hits as to rigs, baits and any general hints on pulling out some form of pisci!!

much appreciated

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

If you're novice I woudn't fish a feeder because you need consistent and accurate casting to get the best out of them. This is just my opinion, if you're comfortable using one then go for it.

Instead I would fish just a big single smelly hookbait and go for chub. This is a mobile approach.

Bait can be a crust of bread (pinch a shot a few inches away from the hook to make it sink), lobworm, cheesepaste etc. You could use maggots too. I would head for a small river (probably the Teme in your case?). Travel light and maybe spend 20 or 30 mins (maybe more?) in a swim before moving off if you don't have a bite.

I fish a very simple running leger rig. 4 or 6lb line straight through. Hook (size 10 to 4 depending on size of bait), 2-3 feet then a rubber rig stop, then a small snap swivel (these allow you to change weights easily).

Be very quiet. Look for features. Bends, over hanging trees, undercut banks. Try "under your feet" too. I like to touch leger (hold the line and feel the bites).

Check your rivers aren't in flood before you go!

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

If you're novice I woudn't fish a feeder because you need consistent and accurate casting to get the best out of them. This is just my opinion, if you're comfortable using one then go for it.

Instead I would fish just a big single smelly hookbait and go for chub. This is a mobile approach.

Bait can be a crust of bread (pinch a shot a few inches away from the hook to make it sink), lobworm, cheesepaste etc. You could use maggots too. I would head for a small river (probably the Teme in your case?). Travel light and maybe spend 20 or 30 mins (maybe more?) in a swim before moving off if you don't have a bite.

I fish a very simple running leger rig. 4 or 6lb line straight through. Hook (size 10 to 4 depending on size of bait), 2-3 feet then a rubber rig stop, then a small snap swivel (these allow you to change weights easily).

Be very quiet. Look for features. Bends, over hanging trees, undercut banks. Try "under your feet" too. I like to touch leger (hold the line and feel the bites).

Check your rivers aren't in flood before you go!

Can't argue with that advice, that would be my method on the Teme (might go a bit heavier on line though!).

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

"What am I letting myself in for?"

Could be some big fish and a brilliant day's fishing, or a load of frustration.

Don't forget the things you would automatically think about when float fishing. Bit of feed to get fish into a certain area, or used to the bait.

If you think there may be fish in the swim but you're getting no bites, change something. Lengthen the tail, cast a bit shorter, or a bit longer. Put on a bigger/smaller hook and bigger/smaller bait to match.

If there is plenty of water on and it's pushing hard, use worms or cheesepaste and don't be afraid to drop it right under your bank.

If it is low and clear, use bread and cast down the swim away from where you're sat. Flake or crust worth a go, or try two big punches (8mm) using Drennan punches or meat/boilie punches.

And why not try touch legering instead of relying on the rod top or quiver? It is much more sensitive and will allow you to soak in the surroundings.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

The only thing I would add is to stay extremely quiet and spend your time getting swims ready to fish. Small river chubbing is mainly time spent walking between swims and dropping in little bits of bait where you think the chub will feed. The bites usually come quickly as long as they're not spooked (and they can be very spooky indeed).

Have fun though, it's my favourite style of fishing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

inspired by this thread and the video posted, i took myself down to my local river after working all night :o. the river was in a shocking state and the mud was something else. i fished bread crust and lobworms in likely looking spots, but no success i'm afraid :(. at least it didn't rain. hope others are faring better.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Right, as you may/may not be aware I am a complete novice when it comes to river fishing - especially in the winter months!! I fancy hitting the teme/severn meet this sunday with the feeder/leger could anyone please give me some hits as to rigs, baits and any general hints on pulling out some form of pisci!!

much appreciated

Did you go on sunday?

Any luck if you did?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yes I did......... only got 3 hours in the end though!! urm hence me not posting not too much luck!! I was doing something right I had 3 viscious takes in about 6 different swims but 2 didnt connect and one spat the hook mid fight?!?! shame they felt decent fish!! has spured me into trying again though!! was fishing luncheon meat for 1 take and 8mm halibut pellet for the other 2, this was over a 60/40 mix of brown crumb and crushed halibut pellet groundbait with a load of old pinkies thrown in!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....