Help

Errrm

Thanks again for the advice, I've been looking at the only place for Chub/Barbel in the cambridge area seems to be the Great Ouse to the West about 20 miles which I can find a club which has some water on it. Does anyone know it? From what I know the Great Ouse is a great river for large chub and barbel but I don't know if this area is the same..... anyone know?

Errrm

Two great areas! but for what your after ie chub and barbel then Fareham would be your best bet!

I chose my last posting with the Army based on the fishing! When I arrived at the unit I had an arrival "interview" from a young wet behind the ears officer.He was very awed by my service record etc.When he asked me what my ambitions would be whilst there I totally shattered him by replying " A 30lb carp from the Ballast Pit and a 20lb+ Cod from Dungie"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Two great areas! but for what your after ie chub and barbel then Fareham would be your best bet!

I chose my last posting with the Army based on the fishing! When I arrived at the unit I had an arrival "interview" from a young wet behind the ears officer.He was very awed by my service record etc.When he asked me what my ambitions would be whilst there I totally shattered him by replying " A 30lb carp from the Ballast Pit and a 20lb+ Cod from Dungie"

lol I didn't go for a similar approach in my interview :-).

It looks like it's going to be Cambridge anyway, Budgie what sort of species would you suggest targetting in Cambridge?

Also did you manage to meet your targets off a 30lb carp and 20lb Cod? :-)

Hi

I fish all over east anglia and if you are prepared to travel a little for your fishing it can be very varied indeed.

You have the fens which are generally slow and deep. Great bream, roach, rudd,tench predators etc.

You have the broads again similar fish but generally much more flow and colour espescially summer time.

You have the upper ouse for your chub and barbel.

You have suffolk stour for winter chubbing a small river in its upper reaches with lots of features, mill pools etc. The stour becomes interesting just beyond haverhill which is a short distance from cambridge.

If you do not wish to travel far then you have lots on offer around cambridge.

If you need more help then ask and I will write a longer post for you.

regards

John

lol I didn't go for a similar approach in my interview :-).

It looks like it's going to be Cambridge anyway, Budgie what sort of species would you suggest targetting in Cambridge?

Also did you manage to meet your targets off a 30lb carp and 20lb Cod? :-)

Never managed the 20lb Cod,well not from the shore like I had hoped anyway! For me Cambridge always means predator heaven with pike and zander! But Im sure as Johns post shows there is a lot more than that!

Its kind of exciting moving as there is new fishing to explore! Even if the fishings not "better" as long as its different I love it!

Another strange thing Ive found by moving around a lot is that Ive often ended up having to travel back to where I used to be to fish a venue I never bothered with when I lived there!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks again for the advice, I've been looking at the only place for Chub/Barbel in the cambridge area seems to be the Great Ouse to the West about 20 miles which I can find a club which has some water on it. Does anyone know it? From what I know the Great Ouse is a great river for large chub and barbel but I don't know if this area is the same..... anyone know?

Errrm

I belong to Verulum AC and we have various stretches of the Gt Ouse near Bedford; including Felmersham and Radwell which have some really large Barbel and Chub, we also have stretches of the Ivel and the upper reaches of the Lea which also have great Chub and Barbel in them. alternatively you could join Milton Keynes who have the famous 'Adams Mill' stretch of the Gt Ouse or Vauxhall AC who also have some great stretches on the Gt Ouze and Ivel.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I live in Ely, just down the road from the 'bridge. great predator fishing out this way, and bream to.

Chub in the Cam to, you can see them in the middle of cambridge in the summer. look at the cambridge fish presevation website for more details.

And head out Bedford or Milton Keynes way for massive barbel, chub and perch. Loads of great fishing round here, you just gotta find it. and if you can get on some drains, the potential is massive.

Danny