Bivvy or day shelter

Sportsman

I intend to do the occasional short session this year, no more than a couple of nights and usually just one.

I am torn between getting a full bivvy or just a brolly based day shelter.

Not having had much experience of either I thought I would ask you lot for your opinions pro/con

Thanks

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My JRC Stealth Brolley has enough room for a full-length bed chair and if you leave out the front storm poles and adjust the side ones to their lowest setting, you can pull the front down very low. That's fine for summer nights (wouldn't want to try it at other times of the year). That's a very cheap option and has the advantage of being compact and light to carry - it fits easily into the front brolley pocket on my Korum holdall.

You can also upgrade it later if you want to by buying the overwrap.

Disadvantage is not being able to get out to your rods as quickly as from a bivvy. Can't think of any others, though.

Take a look at the Daiwa Overnighter.

I've just bought one. At first sight I thought it was a bit flimsy, but having used it a few times, it can cope with quite strong winds. It is basically a brolly with sides, a groundsheet and storm poles, so it is simple and quick to erect and is certainly big enough for a bedchair. The overwrap will turn it into a "proper" bivvy. The brolly costs around 50 quid and the overwarp comes in a little less, I think, although I didn't bother with that as I need it as a shelter, not a bungalow!

Just one word or warning: it does not have a central pole, so I have to borrow the pole from my other brolly if I want it in brolly-mode.

Sportsman

The JRC STI Brollie is highly recommended by a number of anglers on this forum as you get the best of both worlds, but it aint cheap, take a look at: http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/jrc-sti-brolly-p-3238.html

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I used to use one of the JRC brolly systems. It was big enough for my bedchair and a bit of tackle and nice and quick to set up. Good for quick overnight sessions as it was quick to get up. The downside was that i wouldn't use it during autumn/winter as they're not really that robust and wind tends to flatten the thing.

Nowadays i use a Nash Titan Viper, a bit bulkier yes, but still quick to set up and the thing is bomb proof. I've happily fished in the dead of winter (In Scotland) It keeps me dry and warm and i don't have to worry about the wind during the middle of the night as it's rock solid.

Paul.

Edit : Found this pic. The bivvy has my little girls seal of approval :D

KatyBivvy.jpg

Edited by pikergonecarpin
There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

they're not really that robust and wind tends to flatten the thing.

I assume that was without storm poles? With all four poles in use, it'd take a tornado to flatten a JRC Stealth!

I assume that was without storm poles? With all four poles in use, it'd take a tornado to flatten a JRC Stealth!

I think my one was probably pre stealth (8-10 years old maybe?). It was fine so long as the wind was from behind. Anything from the sides had it buckling as the ribs would bend, even with the poles attached.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I used to use one of the JRC brolly systems. It was big enough for my bedchair and a bit of tackle and nice and quick to set up. Good for quick overnight sessions as it was quick to get up. The downside was that i wouldn't use it during autumn/winter as they're not really that robust and wind tends to flatten the thing.

Nowadays i use a Nash Titan Viper, a bit bulkier yes, but still quick to set up and the thing is bomb proof. I've happily fished in the dead of winter (In Scotland) It keeps me dry and warm and i don't have to worry about the wind during the middle of the night as it's rock solid.

Paul.

Edit : Found this pic. The bivvy has my little girls seal of approval :D

KatyBivvy.jpg

nice photo is that Duddingston by any chance?? btw the price of the jrc brolly system is only about £25 to £35 Cheaper than the sti 1 man twinskin bivvy if you have a look about on the web like ebay £146.99 inc p & p 2008 model 10000 hydrostatic head.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif