What is the happy balance?

markward

With the end of the river season coming up l endeavour to spend as much time as possible targeting the large esox in my area. This causes conflict with the missus, and work, as l tend to do this in the week as l like a bit of freedom to roam and this is the prime time for it. Have any of you struck that idea happy balance that allows plenty of hours on the bank but keeps the missus/work happy and that you are not just a loather? Please share the secret if you have!!

Become self employed, be able to make a living wage working a three to four day week which includes weekends so you can have two-three days in the normal working week off , it has taken 25yrs to perfect though :D

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

I haven't a good answer to that one, Mark! What I would say is that my wife has been coming with me on more and more of my fishing trips because, with no housework to do, no TV to watch, etc., we can actually chat properly. She's even told me she'll buy her own rod licence next season. I'd like to ask for solutions to a slightly different problem I have, in a similar vein. I have two daughters, both of whom I have introduced to fishing. Both have caught roughly the same amount of fish, and now one is very keen. The other daughter has turned against fishing, and sulks when we go. She's asking if it's time to go home yet, from the moment we arrive, and has even feigned illness to get us to pack up early. I don't think it's healthy for me to have a special bond with just one of them, so I'm tending to either make the whole family go, or go alone: either way, I upset one daughter. If anyone else who has kids has come up with a good way of occupying one who doesn't want to fish, I'd love to hear about it.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I have always (since leaving the Army anyway) ensured that my work allows me to fish during the week.Many jobs have allowed this.The least amount of time for fishing I have had is when I was a full time guide!

A lot of people anger me when they make the comment "its all right for some!" when refering to my life style.Anyone can do it but there are sacriffices to be made.

Also you need to keep a balance with your home life as well.if you dont not only can this go pear shaped but you can burn out on your fishing to.A lot have.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

budgie i can empathise with you on that one. i have a job that no one wold really want but then all my mates say its ok for you plenty of time/ dont do anything, blah, blah, blah. but then again i dont drive around in a brand new car, have a big house etc etc. ifyou want those then its noses to the grindstone if you want loads of fishig time then you have to accept that dosh will be tight at times. what really makes me smile though is when one of my mates says they are kint.skint! they are sitting with quite a bit in the bank but dont wnt to touch it. skint to me is no money in your bank, or pocket and i know that from bitter experience!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

You know it Mark!The way they whine you would think that flash cars on HP and big mortgages were compulsory!Evey one has the choice.We are lucky mate only because we have made a choice that we are happy with.

In my early 20s I worked night shifts at local factories so that I could go fishing most days. I did that for four years... and I suppose I was a bit obsessed. And very selfish.

I regret that I didn't spend more time with my daughters when they were little. You can't turn back the clock - those years are lost.

Eventually, I returned to a more conventional career. And my fishing results didn't suffer that badly, probably because those four years of ultra-intensive fishing taught me a lot.

It's a big balancing act, isn't it? These days I wouldn't want to go fishing every day, probably because I'm not so obsessed.

Or am I kidding myself? I must be a bit obsessed, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this out now on an angling forum.

With hindsight, I suppose the answer is to work out your priorities and see where fishing can fit in. Taking the family along never worked for me, because the sort of fishing I was doing was usually cold and uncomfortable and involved long, muddy treks down the banks of Fenland drains.

Best of luck...

Fenboy

Fenboy,I am becoming increasingly worried about my mental state! I am worried that I have developed a split personality! one is Budgie the other Fenboy!! Your posts are so what I think but cant put in words.