Fly fishing tuition?

Colmartin

I'm a keen carper but have never cast a fly rod in my life.

I would be interested to know if anyone has participated in the Bewl Water, day beginners courses and if so, would you recommend as a good place to start.

Any other suggestions on where a complete novice could find good tuition would be welcome. I'm in kent.

Thanks

I'm a keen carper but have never cast a fly rod in my life.

I would be interested to know if anyone has participated in the Bewl Water, day beginners courses and if so, would you recommend as a good place to start.

Any other suggestions on where a complete novice could find good tuition would be welcome. I'm in kent.

Thanks

Check with Colin Brett on this forum. I think they organise them at Graftham water.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Hi,

just taken a look at the tuition day there and at £60 for the whole day i would have thought it good value.

Only fished Bewl a few times but have found the staff very helpful.

Probably NOT the best place to actually spend your first few outings as it is very daunting,thats not to say that the fishing is no good,quite the reverse.

Have your tuition day there,then pick a small stillwater in your area to have a few hopefully 'easy' sessions.Brick Farm and Boringwheel in Sussex are fairly prolific venues and not too hard.Tenterden in Kent is reasonably priced as well.

I think you will find wherever you go,that your fellow fly fishers are generally a helpful bunch and will help out a novice where they can,with fly choice/lines/retrieves etc.Always pick the fishery owners/managers brains as well when you visit,but don't put too much credance into the returns books with regards to what fly is working the best-people don't always enter what they have actually used :D:o .

Hi,

just taken a look at the tuition day there and at £60 for the whole day i would have thought it good value.

Probably NOT the best place to actually spend your first few outings as it is very daunting,thats not to say that the fishing is no good,quite the reverse.

Have your tuition day there,then pick a small stillwater in your area to have a few hopefully 'easy' sessions.Brick Farm and Boringwheel in Sussex are fairly prolific venues and not too hard.Tenterden in Kent is reasonably priced as well.

I think you will find wherever you go,that your fellow fly fishers are generally a helpful bunch and will help out a novice where they can,with fly choice/lines/retrieves etc.Always pick the fishery owners/managers brains as well when you visit,but don't put too much credance into the returns books with regards to what fly is working the best-people don't always enter what they have actually used :D:o .

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions, I will certainly check them out.

I can't believe all you fly fishermen are not being 100% up-front about your choice of fly :)

Thank you for your suggestions, I will certainly check them out.

I can't believe all you fly fishermen are not being 100% up-front about your choice of fly :)

I always say exactly what flies I am using and how I am using them. It's not my fault the other sly b@st@rds think I'm telling porkies like they do. :D

I found If I told the truth everyone else thought I was doing different anyway, so why bother to tell lies. ;)

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I always say exactly what flies I am using and how I am using them. It's not my fault the other sly b@st@rds think I'm telling porkies like they do. :D

I found If I told the truth everyone else thought I was doing different anyway, so why bother to te,ll lies. ;)

Porkies, flies, we'll be talking about fish soon :)

http://www.flyfishingvenues.co.uk/list.asp...th+East+England

A few links here to various places.

Greg

i always tell the truth with regards fly used,but know for sure a lot do not.I usually have a gander at whats been taken,but don't take too much notice what they have been taken on.

Thanks guys - I can see I am going to have to filter the porkies, try my own flies and take everything with a pinch of salt :)