when is a fly not a fly ?

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

Hi i just wondered over from the sea fishing forum. A question i asked there has caused a great deal of debate.

On my river a law states bait must consist of a fly after dark. i have dared to mention using a 10 to 15 g fly if such a thing exists? (that is a question in its self). lots of people say i will be poaching, some say 15 g fly is a lure and ill get done for poaching.

so can anyone tell me when does a fly become a lure?

Not really everyone has their own ideas on this subject, mine is if the fly does not represent the natural fly nymph or buzzer then it is a lure , But even this view is open to debate as one particular nymph the Damsel in its larger sizes could be construed as a lure.

when you think you know everything think again....

Hi Winter,

I meant to reply to you on the sea fishing forum but got run over by all the other responses!

I saltwater fly fish. Most of the 'flies' I tie are imitations of bait fish. I have numerous books on saltwater 'flies' and all of these are bait fish, shrimp or crab patterns. I concider myself to be fly fishing...indeed with 'flies' I have tied....However, at the end of the day, what I think, or what is written, is worth nothing if a bailiff conciders my 'flies' to be lures.

My point being that the only guy who will answer your very good question, will be your local bailiff. If you can find him and show him a 'fly' you'd like to use, I'm sure you'd get your answer...and I for one would love to hear it! :)

Best of luck with finding your answer.

Art

Many trout waters consider anything bigger than a 50P bit to be a lure!

Obviously Salmon fly's can be bigger but where you draw the line only your bailiff or local tackle dealer will know!

Try using a std sea trout fly with lead on the line above it to get it down.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.