amphipods/ small shrimp type patterns, best modern materials for tying?

stavey

im going to tie some very small amphipod type flys to fish for mullet, any guys no in there opinion what is the best modern materials to use, these will be tyed on size 16 and 18 ive tried antron seals sub but they dont look right in the water, probably to drab, mind you what the fish see aint what us humans see i guess, any idea's?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Do you think that mullet eat amphipods?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i think so, they have been found in there stomachs along with the green algae which is there main diet, ive only caught thick lip mullet on a bread fly which is kind of cheating,but some guys have caught them occasionaly on wet flt patterns which i think the mullet see them as amphipods, anyway thats my theory.

You mean little jobbies like these?

www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/micropolit...od/gammarus.jpg

Plus the creechers you find when you kick over a clump of seaweed, the ones that look a lot like woodlice?

Now, if I was ever to try to imitate such things (which I might or might not have, at some time in the past), I might well use some use translucent clear synthetics (sheet plastic, or fine, clear mono nylon strands twisted into a 'rope' -- you know, this sort of stuff), with a mobile natural fur (bunny bunny) for the legs. I can see clear 5-minute epoxy, too, (well, Mystic Meg can) making the segmented (rib it tight) carapace, reinforcing the whole thing, adding to the overall translucency. Tied in several colours (Pantone marker pens...), naturally. Sorry, must get back to Seven of Nine.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

stavey:

i think so, they have been found in there stomachs along with the green algae which is there main diet, ive only caught thick lip mullet on a bread fly which is kind of cheating,but some guys have caught them occasionaly on wet flt patterns which i think the mullet see them as amphipods, anyway thats my theory.

I only fish for mullet these days. I use a light avon type float fishing setup and use mostly bread for bait. I would bet that on a fly rig anything smallish and white/pale coloured will do the trick.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

yep i have done that corydoras with some success not easy though, it works for thicklips but not for the thinlipped mullet which is my aim this summer, where do you fish? im in sussex.

stavey:

yep i have done that corydoras with some success not easy though, it works for thicklips but not for the thinlipped mullet which is my aim this summer, where do you fish? im in sussex.

Hampshire, in the Itchin Estuare and the Hamble mostly. Thin-lips IMHO are a waste of time. They don't fight anything like a thick-lip.

[ 18. January 2005, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]