Loading a 5501c3 with braid...and searching for a rod!

Phil Adams

Hi all, I want to load an Abu 5501 with some powerpro, probably the 30kg version (unless anyone can suggest anything better :)

How much braid should I put onto the reel? I want to back with mono then spool up with 150yrd of braid, I just find it so hard to work out how best to go about it without putting too much backing on!

Any help?

As to the rod Im searching for...

Im not a fan of short rods since there can be quite a bit of bankside veg around the places I fish, so have been looking for a rod around 9ft long, trigger grip for multiplier use and a casting weight around 85g max (ish)

Does such a thing exist......Dave Lumbs rods look fab but I dont have that kinda cash right now lol

I know Im asking alot here :)

Thanks all

Phil you need to decide on how much braid you will need.This will depend on what you are actually using the reel for.My reels of that size I use for boat fishing for Pike Ive never found a need for much more than 75m of braid backed up with 15lb mono.

Another thing that influences how much I put on is how much comes on the spool in the first place! eg if its only a 100m then I will put the lot on a its daft keeping a short length! however if its a 150m spool then I know I wont need much more than 75m I will simply split it in half.Get what I mean? I never just load up from a bulk spool willy nilly as this is very wastefull.

This buisness of knowing how much backing to put on is an absolute sinch! first just lightly attach the braid to the empty spool,wind on the amount of braid you want to use,join on some 15lb mono (I use Maxima or Daiwa Senser) wind on till reel is at the right level. Now if youve got another same size reel just join the mono onto the spool and wind the combined mono & braid off the first reel on to it! gives you the mono to spool join that will stop your braid slipping,the exact amount of mono backing and all the right way round.

If you havnt got a same size reel then the procedure takes a bit longer as you will need to carry out stage 1 then wind it all off on to another reel (any with enough capacity,I often just use an old line spool on a pen held in the jaws of an electric drill for speeed) then wind it on to another one (thus reversing it again) and finally back on to the reel its meant for.

For "splitting" spools of braid I used to go over the sports field and run it all out before doubling/tripling/whatever and cutting it.But a few years ago a member on here sent me a line counter (from Lidls) that I can now use in the house.

Ok?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Re the rods Phil dont get hung up on the veiw that short rods arent for you.If your going to the Pike/Zander fish in (not to far from you) you can have a go with some of the rods I will be taking.

Ive still got a few of the rods I brought back from the US for sale at £30 each that might fit the bill for you.

Cheers budgie, i might have to pop along to the fish'in and say hello

Im not totaly against short rods, i just find a longer rod more comfortable........mainly because its what im used to i guess!

Ive been playing around with the 5501 and have a quick question.....

Should I be able to wind in and have line going out from the clutch at the same time?

Reason I ask is, I noticed that when the drag is set to its minimum setting, if i wind the handle the spool does not revolve and have to tighten the drag to get the spool revolving.

I then played around with this and have found that if I pull line from the spool against the drag, and turn the handle at the same time the handle turns but the spool does not wind line back in (im guessing this is right because if it did it could cause a lock up and lose a fish!)

Is this right?

P.s could you pm me with details of the rods you have? or email me at phils_wicked@hotmail.com

Many Thanks again

Not strictly written with multis in mind but you can glean what you think is relevant from the following post, which I wrote some time ago for another thread.

"Unlike monofilament that stretches significantly, braid has virtually no stretch.

When you spool up with monofilament, it tightens onto the spool. If you put braid directly on your reel (especially smooth barrels spools) you run the risk of the whole ball of line spinning on the reel – especially if the reel gets wet.

To avoid slippage, use one of the following methods:

1) Use a hole or knob on the spool if there is one.

2) Leave enough monofilament on the reel to cover the bottom of the spool or fill your spool, leaving enough room for approximately 100 yards of braid. 100 yards will cover most pike fishing applications. You'll only require more if you're into drifter fishing or long-range casting.

3) Put a piece of insulating tape on the empty spool. This gives the braid something to 'bite' into.

15lb mono has a similar diameter to 50lb braid and because there is no advantage in using lighter braid, I'd suggest you use 50lb as a minimum. Naturally, there is no fish in any UK freshwater that will break you off using braid that heavy but as I've said, lighter braid offers no distinct advantage, you'll be able to straighten hooks in the event of a snag, the braid will stand up to more abuse from weed, snags, rocks or abrasive surfaces, it'll have a longer life-expectancy and it's simply easier to work with. You'll also appreciate the increase in successful hook-ups. Expect your hook-up ratio to soar. I've been using the same braid for around 5 years and once I'm sure it's seen better days, I'll take it off and reverse it, giving me another few years of use. Braid seems expensive initially but once you've had a few seasons of use from it, you'll realise just how much money you've saved.

If you have a spare spool for your reel, simply wind on 100 yards of braid and attach some 15lb mono using a Uni to Uni knot. Now fill your spool up to the brim*. Now take the spool off and put an empty spool onto your reel. Now wind all your line onto the empty spool, which now means your braid is on top of the mono.

Once you've filled your spool, it's wise to wind that line on as evenly and under tension. You could use a wet cloth but I prefer to take my rod and reel to an empty field. I tie the end of my braid to something solid, like a fence-post and then walk all my line off. Once my reel is empty, I hold my rod upright, put a decent bend in it and then wind all my line back on, under tension, as evenly as possible. This helps fill your spool evenly, prevents your line bedding into the layers underneath, helps to prevent wind-knots and bird-nests, assists casting and basically allows for a nice even line-lay.

*If you've wound your line back on under pressure, there should be about a 1/4" of space between the line and the lip of the spool.

When you use your braid for the first time, clip a weight on and have a few casts, beginning at short range, increasing as you go with each cast. This will allow the line to flow off the spool and wind back on at working pressure. Don't go for the long chuck straight away or it could be the last with that batch. Braid tangles are notorious for staying knotted so be gentle at first. Once you are happy that the line is casting and retrieving without causing any problems, tackle up and start fishing."

.....Regards.....Andy..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Its deffo not line slippage, I did wonder if it was, but I can see the spool revolving as the line comes off the spool.

Ive owned multipliers before but never used them for anything lol so Im just unsure if it should do this or if the gearing or drag needs a proper service.

Thanks for your reply though its well written and interesting.

Phil

Its simply the drag working Phil just tighten it up.

Its often reccomended that multipliers with star drags should be stored with the drag fully slackened off also many people try to attach their braid directly to the spool.Due to these two things I often get sent reels that are "broken"!

Im not at home till next Sunday but will gladly send you details of the rods I have left for sale then.

Good question about the braid, I've never managed to get a whole spool of the stuff on a reel despite the line capacities on the reel being more than what it says on the braig spool. Just end up with lots of spools with about 25/50m of braid left on which is annoying!

Usually when spooling up with braid I use a few wraps of insulating tape...seems to work