Loading a 5501c3 with braid...and searching for a rod!

Phil Adams

This one rears its head every so often, might be worth a google of AN on the subject. Me, I'm a great advocate of the shorter rod, 7' or 7'6" long. The greater wind resistance when casting a longer rod all day is, I think, a minus point, as is the reduced tip control when retrieving.

I do think that a crisp tip action is a plus, and for that reason I would stay clear of soft tipped rods like the Ugly Stix. Probably great rods in their day, although I never rated them, but long since superseded by advances in rod making. The Wychwood range of lure rods strike me as being darn good value.

By the way, if you insist on a longer rod with a heavy casting range then take a look at the Masterline Toothy Critter Boat Rod. I have two that I use for deads but also for sink and draw and lobbing heavy lures into the next county. Good kit, good price, crap name!

Usually when spooling up with braid I use a few wraps of insulating tape...seems to work

I said that already.....do keep up Neil..... ;)

.....Regards.....Andy...... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

This one rears its head every so often, might be worth a google of AN on the subject. Me, I'm a great advocate of the shorter rod, 7' or 7'6" long. The greater wind resistance when casting a longer rod all day is, I think, a minus point, as is the reduced tip control when retrieving.

I do think that a crisp tip action is a plus, and for that reason I would stay clear of soft tipped rods like the Ugly Stix. Probably great rods in their day, although I never rated them, but long since superseded by advances in rod making. The Wychwood range of lure rods strike me as being darn good value.

Depends on what lures you want to use really, I think the Ugly stick is a versatile rod if you want to use a multi but don't like casting foot long jerkbaits.

I'm a big fan of wychwood stuff but as far as I know the only rod they do with a trigger grip is the 6ft jerkbait rod....all the rest are rung for fixed spools

Aplogies Andy for mentioning insulating tape after you had already....happens a lot on forums :)

Edited by Neil G

Im still leaning towards a longer rod, many of the places I fish on the Ouse can have some big nearside snags and reedbeds etc, leaning over these with a shorter rod can be a real nightmare.

I like the look of the Uglystik and also a Berkley that Ive found. To be honest though, unless there all hiding theres a limited range of longer triggergrip rods around.

Phil

Phil says: 'theres a limited range of longer trigger grip rods around'. Peter says: 'I wonder why!?'

The Toothy Critter Boat rod can be bought with a trigger grip. So can some of the longer Daiwa rods intended for salmon fishing, but they tend to be dear.

One draw back with longer rods is that yuour constantly hitting the water with them when working any lure that needs downward sweeps of the rod to work it!

I do have a couple of longer rods though I use these for wobbling or chucking big Bulldawgs from the bank. Mine are made from one piece Musky blanks (used as the tip) with short crank handled butts made from some old carbon and "recycled" ABU Speedlocks. Not hard to do.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Im still leaning towards a longer rod, many of the places I fish on the Ouse can have some big nearside snags and reedbeds etc, leaning over these with a shorter rod can be a real nightmare.

I like the look of the Uglystik and also a Berkley that Ive found. To be honest though, unless there all hiding theres a limited range of longer triggergrip rods around.

Phil

Very tru, I had to search the net loads before I found something suitable

Did want a Savage Gear MP as they do really nice 9 & 10ft trigger grip rods but couldn't find one anywhere.

Agree with you on the manoueverablity of longer rods but nice having something longer you can bait fish with as well on rivers :)