flies for chub & dace

fantasticfisherman

Guest PhilB

If I was to have a go for chub, I would try a buoyant lure such as a Rasputin or Booby on a shortish leader (2-6 feet?), cast straight downstream and retrieve upstream with short pulls. I'm sure that would work - goodness knows what else you would catch as well! mr. bean, send me a PM when you can, with you address and I'll send you more details on dace flies.

Dan G

The only reason I asked the question was that 'Dace' like most fishes living in Rivers eat insects and its about choosing the right immitative pattern to match what they are feeding on, size, general shape, and colour, you are very right they are lightning fast and I have had limited success, good luck on your foray.

Gwilym Hughes

Found the dace on the Tyne partial to a Blue Zulu or a dry fly for the evening rise.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

My reason is, why bother? Why waste a good evening 'hatch' on dace which you can swing in, rather than a nice brown trout which will put up a bit of a struggle... each to there own, but not for me... Chub are nice on a fly rod, and I can obviously see why you'd go after them... they are omniverous and if an unlucky fly/bee/fish/damsel is in there way, they'll obviously have a snap...