Low Feed Groundbait

rob39

I'm no expert here, but I'll have a go at answering your question.

Something with lots of visual and aromatic attraction, but little nutritional value. A very finely sieved powdered groundbait for example, perhaps with one or two maggots/chopped worms or whatever in. Sensas Lake 3000 Black perhaps, mole hill soil maybe?

I'd say pellets were very high feed, after all, that's what they were designed for.

Two of the big names in commercial groundbait are Sensas and Van Den Eynde

Sensas Website

Van Den Eynde Website

With Sensas, they are marked 'for winter' or 'low feed content' in the description. I'm not that familiar with Van Den Eynde.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

I would say any ground or powdered groundbait isn't instantly filling and that makes it ideal for groundbait because it has flavour, all the shoal gets a taste but none really get 'fed'. Yes, I do sometimes add a few freebies of the sort I'm going to use a hook-bait but I'm always careful not to add too much because I don't, as the original question asked, feed the fish.

I would not consider pellets as low feed groundbait. I would consider pellets as a possible swim killer because you could essentially fill up many of the fish. That's not to say you couldn't blitz a section of your pellets and add the powdered version to add the flavour of your pellet, which I presume will be your hookbait, which would then attract them to the whole pellets, which would be attached to your hook....obviously.

.....Andy..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

any groundbait that is stated as METHOD mix should do you!!

Doesn't your method mix stick together and form lumps? Thats not what i would look for in a low feed ground bait or am i missing the point?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

any groundbait that is stated as METHOD mix should do you!!

On the contary i think most method mixes are high food content!

You might try plain crumb and you could even bulk this out with mole hill soil or sand!

Rich

The medium worms are kept in is a good additive to groundbait, especially for perch, since the medium has passed through the worm making it worm flavoured.

.....Andy.....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Doesn't your method mix stick together and form lumps? Thats not what i would look for in a low feed ground bait or am i missing the point?

Not if you mix it adding the water very gradually and then seive/riddle the mix, it shouldnt!!

and also modern method mixes are mostly about attraction and not food content, older ones are the other way round. I believe the particles to be bulkier in brown crumb than method mixes, even though most modern method mixes are ground pellets!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

The best low feed groundbait is a liquid feed as it will dispense into the water very quickly leaving nothing to eat.

You can buy from the likes of Willis worms who do a good range.

You can cup these in with a pole or soak in a bit of sponge to insert into a feeder.

Cereal groundbait mixes can all be very filing depending on how you mix them and how they break down before hitting the bottom.

I sieve winter (and most other mixes and crumb) mixes such as super black and belive me you will be suprised how much stuff threre is in such mixes that fish could fill themselves up on.

Modern method mixes are designed more as an attractant then a feed but fish attack a method feeder and suck in as much groundbait as they can.

As for pellets it depends on the type and size you use.

For winter tiny micro feed in small amounts can work or afew CSL / Hemp type pellets (the long thin type) will break down even in cold water.

Normal pellets take ages to break down giving fish something to fill themselves up on and I would not even consider expanders as they just sit there until eaten.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!