Sign in to follow this  
Pete156

Fly Fishing - Newbury area

Hi, can anyone suggest somewhere I can get a day's fly fishing in later this week, preferably within the Newbury area. I'm not too fussed about the size of fish, just looking for a day's fly fishing!

Cheers

Pete

Stillwater: Pang Valley Lake, on Dark Lane near Pangbourne. Rainbows and Browns with a head of stunted perch, good fly hatches and I reckon one of the best smallwaters there is. Stock size from approx 1.75lb to around 6lb. Tickets available on the bank, don't know this year's prices but last season was in the region of £15 half day (2 fish) and £25 full day (4 fish) NOTE: Catch and kill only - no C&R available.

Not to be confused with Haywards Farm at Sportfish in Theale - I think they allow C&R there though if that's what you're after.

River: Denford. Beautiful stretches of Kennet carriers at Hungerford for stocked rainbows, browns the occaisional wild brown and plenty of grayling to 2lb+ - NOT a cheap option this, don't know ticket prices but expect to be in excess of £70. Ring Nigel Wilson on 01488 658539.

You won't be dissapointed with either of the above - never fished at Haywards myself though so can't comment on it.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

pang valley lakes is now called barn elms trout fishery ,and it is a great fishery, fishing very well at the moment to most patterns. prices are £15.00 2 fish, £20.00 3 fish and £25.00 for 4

Does Mike Stratton still own/run it Mick?

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

I think most of the Newbury lakes are now 'bivied up' but there must be a few left?

Avon Springs @ Durrington (Amesbury) is only about 1/2 hrs drive.

http://www.fishingfly.co.uk/index.html

I hav'nt been for 8 years but it used to be very good.

And of course the 'mega lakes' down near Sutton Scotney and Avington are within 30 miles££££.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

no mike stratton is running haywards farm at theale, theyve got the sportfish shop on site. barn elms is being run by the farm owner rosemary and its very relaxed nice new lodge tea and coffee thrown in.

mickp169:

tea and coffee thrown in.

Doesn't that spoil the fishing??!