Wire traces for pike

Newt

There is an article here: http://www.ontariofishing.net/news/dec2006-2.html dealing with the use of fluorocarbon leaders as I was discussing

Can I point out I have never tried them out myself but I can see the reasoning behind them and I am prepared to keep an open mind on the subject and not reject it out of hand.

Remember we do tend to follow these trends from across the Atlantic when spinning for Pike, just look at the use of jerk baits soft plastics etc.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not what I said Emma..I was referring to lure fishing, I shall stick to wire :)

Den

So was I, apart from the obvious example of the minnow. Almost all my piking involves lures and spinners (the latter being sometimes ignored it seems in the face of the array of lures availiable these days), and the lure is often taken so well into the mouth that a decent trace is vital. Anyway, I shall stick to wire too.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Worms - how does it compare with a 7x7 49 strand wire with a nylon coating?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Worms - how does it compare with a 7x7 49 strand wire with a nylon coating?

Hi Newt,

I have measured the proleader, rated at 25kg as 0.019" dia.

A 49 wire nylon coated trace rated at 15kg (not sure of make) is 0.020"

The Proleader is definitely limper than the 49 strand.

One advantage I foresee is the ability to knot the Proleader thereby eliminating crimps etc which will add weight to the end of the leader.

Tackle setup so far comprises a 3 piece split cane 10' grilse/salmon rod, a level 'C' silk line (approx AFTMA #9) and a 7' 12lb Singaporean leader, 3' of 12lb mono and 8" of proleader. A small stainless split ring holds fly to Proleader.

Casting in the garden with a 5" fly on a size 2/0 I am getting a better fly turnover than with any of the trace wires so far.

It looks promising so far, only time will tell!

Is proleader used much in the States?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hi Newt,

Casting in the garden with a 5" fly on a size 2/0 I am getting a better fly turnover than with any of the trace wires so far.

Thats what I was going to ask about as well Worms. More importantly how many pike you had on it so far to see if it is "tooth proof" And by that I mean with the actual trace over the teeth?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thats what I was going to ask about as well Worms. More importantly how many pike you had on it so far to see if it is "tooth proof" And by that I mean with the actual trace over the teeth?

As yet Budgie, none! The set up is in the process of completion prior to fishing.

It was the reason for asking about Proleader really. It seems to work on a fly-line really well considering fly weight etc. but I was after info from people who may have used it before trying it out on a pike. I'm not concerned about strength so much as fraying.

I'll run a length over a wire brush tomorrow and see how it stands up to that. If it works it looks like it could be the dogs danglies, it might even be good for perch!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Emma I normally make up a steeply tapering 9' leader with a 30lb butt down to a 15lb point and a 8"- 10" length of 20lb wire as a tippet. Length depends on the size of the fly Im using ,smaller the fly longer the wire.I keep the wire as short as I can to help turnover.Delicacy isnt important (turnover wise) here but making sure that the leader straightens is to avoid tangles and possible bite offs.

My normal size pike flies are 8" long I only use single hooks to tie them on.I attach them two ways either just spinning/twisting the wire directlt to the eye of the fly or using a snap link.Need to make sure the ones you choose are up to the job though. Both have advantages and dissadvatages.The snap link means you can change flies eaaily (I dont tend to swap them to much)but can be prone to tangling in the wind (allows the fly to "pivot" I thinks the main problem)

Attaching direct stops this but obviously aint so quick for changing flies.

Incidently Ive played with "surgeons knots" etc but my prefered way to attach the wire tippet to the mono point is via a ring.Used to be able to get small but strong oval ones from fly fishing places.

Anything else?

Yes :) to attach the trace to the leader, how about a spilt ring, and should it be crimped secure like I make my lure traces, or is there another way?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Worms - I can't say about wire since all the toothy fresh water fish (bowfin & gar excepted) live way north of me and my interest is mostly academic. Bowfin have sharp, nasty teeth but widely spaced and I've never had one cut my line although they have chewed some lures to splinters. Same with gar except they don't do lures and I rarely bait fish.

I've only used wire twice I think - once at Wingham several years ago and once (maybe - can't remember for sure) fishing on Lake Michigan when we visited Severus for a day.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm not concerned about strength so much as fraying.

I'll run a length over a wire brush tomorrow and see how it stands up to that. If it works it looks like it could be the dogs danglies, it might even be good for perch!

Well I subjected the Proleader to the most brutal abuse that I could think of as regarding friction and sharp things.

The first plan of attack was a sustained assault by anchoring one end and dragging it across a rotary wire brush. This did fray the wire coating within about 5 minutes. The kevlar strands beneath however were a different matter. They resisted this attack well. Dragging the kevlar strands backwards and forwards through the wires eventually saw their demise. However, this type of abuse did not damage the outer stainless braiding when tried with a new piece. No effect on the nylon coated 49 strand wire but started to fray the 7 strand uncoated.

The next attack involve my milling machine and a 3/8" milling cutter, now these are sharp!

7 strand lasted about 3 seconds when a length was offered up to the rotating tool, 49 strand about 6 seconds and Proleader nearly 15 seconds.

Conclusions:

Once you lose a thread in a wire trace they fail pretty rapidly. The kevlar is bloody tough and resists a sharp edge very well. If you lose threads in Kevlar it still retains strength right up to the end but the stainless braid is the (relatively) weak part and less abrasion resistant than the wire.

All rather academic really unless the pike in your water have been seen with electric drills and milling machines at the ready.

Proleader is advertised as a good pike fly fishing leader on a number of websites and it comes up in fora as well.

Unless anybody knows any reason why not I will give it a bash on my local river!