Ready to have a bash at RAW processing!

Snatcher

Just curious but why not use the software that came with your 400D to start with?

Nope no good.Must have been puggled with drink the other day when I thought I had imported a RAW file.Just tried again and cannot import it "corrupt file/unknown format".When I got my 400D the solutions disc went straight on :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried to download a Canon camera RAW 5.1 update but not sure if I done it correctly :o I can see the RAW picture I took in the screen preview but still getting the error

"This file is damaged or in a format that cannot be included in the Organiser C:\DOCUME-1\JOHN\LOCALS-1\Temp\PSAlbumingport\2009-02-26-1614-00\DCIM\100CANON\IMG_9247,CR2"

Whoever said it was easy to work in RAW? I need to get my RAW pictures onto the pc first :rolleyes: If I had a minimal knowledge in computing I may stand half a chance!!!

Keep chucking the ideas in team :) God loves a trier

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Keep chucking the ideas in team :) God loves a trier

John

I tell you what Snatcher, I'm destined for 'hell and damnation', I've given up trying with RAW, and I had mine working!!! I've been thrown a life line by a friend . . . but will it convince me . . . we will see?

I'm like you where computers are converted, a complete technophobe, I'm of the opinion its the computer and its quirky language we need to understand first???

I'm on the point of baking out completely where 'techie' stuff is required. I was much happier in the days of 6mp's!!!! wow B) . . . and 'Adobe Photodelux' (hold your hand fore runner of Elements). RAW . . . who needs it . . . pros, and those with aspirations?

All I see on other sites (not this one!) are people trying to impress each other, with the latest and greatest whizz-bang-whoosh, with how much it costs . . . and how much better it is than the now superseded yesterdays technology that was last months must have :blink: Perhaps it my total lack of ambition these days, I'm better of with the camera set on 'auto P' in JPG, done OK up to now. Go fishing, on my slooooow fishing boat, basic diesel/shaft drive, no complications . . . simple life :headhurt: life in the fast lane? nah :)

Mmmm . . . thats a RANT ain't it :lol: Might have something to do with my right shoulder giving me extreme 'GIP'!!! :angry: and I have no idea why, its the docs in the morning for me, had to come home early, could not drive safly any more, its so bad!!!!

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

I tell you what Snatcher, I'm destined for 'hell and damnation', I've given up trying with RAW, and I had mine working!!! I've been thrown a life line by a friend . . . but will it convince me . . . we will see?

I'm like you where computers are converted, a complete technophobe, I'm of the opinion its the computer and its quirky language we need to understand first???

I'm on the point of baking out completely where 'techie' stuff is required. I was much happier in the days of 6mp's!!!! wow B) . . . and 'Adobe Photodelux' (hold your hand fore runner of Elements). RAW . . . who needs it . . . pros, and those with aspirations?

All I see on other sites (not this one!) are people trying to impress each other, with the latest and greatest whizz-bang-whoosh, with how much it costs . . . and how much better it is than the now superseded yesterdays technology that was last months must have :blink: Perhaps it my total lack of ambition these days, I'm better of with the camera set on 'auto P' in JPG, done OK up to now. Go fishing, on my slooooow fishing boat, basic diesel/shaft drive, no complications . . . simple life :headhurt: life in the fast lane? nah :)

Mmmm . . . thats a RANT ain't it :lol: Might have something to do with my right shoulder giving me extreme 'GIP'!!! :angry: and I have no idea why, its the docs in the morning for me, had to come home early, could not drive safly any more, its so bad!!!!

SW

Hey SW,thats one of the best rants I have heard in ages :lol: It has made me feel much better,feel free to call on me in my cave anytime you are in my part of the Neolithic Period :)

On a more serious note hope you get your shoulder sorted ok

Fred Flintstone signing off :roll1:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Just been given some new advice on my RAW problem.The advice was to plug my camera directly into the pc instead of using a card reader. I thought this would break the first commandment -

"Thou shalt not plug thy camera directly into any pc in case the camera be smiteth and burn in hell" ???

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I use a card reader with RAW photos shot on my 400D without any problems but my friend generally plugs his 400D directly into his laptop and also seems never to have any problems using that method so i as far as i know both methods work (although i assume by plugging your camera directly into a computer there is always the chance of something corrupting the firmware on the camera).Personally I generally use adobe lightroom for uploading and processing RAW images.

Edited by snakey1

I was much happier in the days of 6mp's!!!! wow B) . . . and 'Adobe Photodelux' (hold your hand fore runner of Elements). RAW . . . who needs it . . . pros, and those with aspirations?

SW

I am inclined to agree. I got a Cannon 400D last year, my first digital SLR, & have been having a go processing RAW files lately using the software which came with the camera,Photo Professional it's called.

All I seem to end up doing to the RAW files most of the time is tweaking the brightness & contrast if needed which you can do in any basic software with jpegs. Sometimes I play around with the white balance etc, on photos that were probably quite acceptable any way.

I find even PS Elements I don't use half it's capability. I am far from being an expert, but to me photographs are about capturing the moment & I try to rely on the settings on the actual camera to get the picture I want. A lot of times it's the composure that makes a good photo.