Inline maggot feeders

Anderoo

I thought Drennan would be the first to market these as Martin Bowler has been championing this rig for ages, but Fox have got in there first. An inline maggot feeder with a short hooklink is an excellent way to fish for big tench, and until now we've had to make our own, or use a different method (I've been using an inline lead with a PVA bag of maggots instead, but the cost of the PVA soon mounts up).

Aside from the fact these are inline, the other great thing is that all the weight is right at the end, which will really help the bolt effect, and help it cast well. There are even little fins to make it fly straight :) The ones I've seen are 1oz or 2oz.

The only problems I can see are that they don't look like they'll hold that many maggots, and the holes are big, so some taping up might be needed.

That's my tench fishing sorted this year!

:D Gosh you are that behind. The fox 2oz inline maggott feeder is a waste of time as the hole are too big and the taper rubber sleeve was too long to thread a leadcore. I tried it down Wingham last october, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I have been looking at the new drennan ones and think they will do the trick for the tench fishing.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember losing a conical inline maggot feeder in the Severn at Ironbridge around 1986. Can't remember seeing them before or since, and it had been knocking around unused in my tackle box for some time before it finally became an ornament for some streamer weed.

:D Gosh you are that behind. The fox 2oz inline maggott feeder is a waste of time as the hole are too big and the taper rubber sleeve was too long to thread a leadcore. I tried it down Wingham last october, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I have been looking at the new drennan ones and think they will do the trick for the tench fishing.

Your right the holes in the fox ones are a bit big for maggot, but there spot on for hemp and caster and it saves me having to make the holes bigger like i used to have to do with other makes. Ive never had a problem with the rubber sleeve, but i don't use leadcore.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• 3 weeks later...

I got some of the 2oz Drennan ones mail-order after seeing the links on this thread (cheers!). They look ideal. That's the tench fishing sorted this year :)

A question though, has anyone used these inline feeders with a soft braided hooklength? If so, does it tangle badly? If I have to use mono, it'll need to be pretty strong to cope with the ferocity of bites, braid would be better but not if it's going to tangle (like it does with inline leads).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I got some of the 2oz Drennan ones mail-order after seeing the links on this thread (cheers!). They look ideal. That's the tench fishing sorted this year :)

A question though, has anyone used these inline feeders with a soft braided hooklength? If so, does it tangle badly? If I have to use mono, it'll need to be pretty strong to cope with the ferocity of bites, braid would be better but not if it's going to tangle (like it does with inline leads).

My homemade versions of the dreenan feeders (essentially the same I think) worked very well with braided hooklengths, however I always used PVA aswell as I'm sure they it would tangle without!

Rich

My homemade versions of the dreenan feeders (essentially the same I think) worked very well with braided hooklengths, however I always used PVA aswell as I'm sure they it would tangle without!

Rich

Thanks, Richard. Yes, they're exactly like your ones. I think I'll use mono then, the main reason I'm using them at all is to avoid using PVA! I got through stacks last year.

I reckon 10lb double strength should be OK.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

... or Drennan Sink Braid (12lb).

I really like this stuff and have used it alot over the last few seasons. I was, however, surprised in some recent underwater testing I've been doing how much it likes to end up in a big pile up against the feeder if it is disturbed at all!

Rich

That's interesting, Sinkbraid (in 10lb) is exactly what I've been using for tench and bream. I thought it would tangle badly without a PVA bag, it does with inline leads. It would be great if I could use it with the feeders though, it's great stuff. I'll have to do a load of test casts and see if it's OK.

I'd be a bit worried that (because it's so soft and supple) the hook could end up catching in one of the feeder holes if the hookbait is disturbed. With mono that wouldn't happen.

That's interesting, Sinkbraid (in 10lb) is exactly what I've been using for tench and bream. I thought it would tangle badly without a PVA bag, it does with inline leads. It would be great if I could use it with the feeders though, it's great stuff. I'll have to do a load of test casts and see if it's OK.

I'd be a bit worried that (because it's so soft and supple) the hook could end up catching in one of the feeder holes if the hookbait is disturbed. With mono that wouldn't happen.

Andrew you could try some of this pop up foam its pretty cheap (very cheap per cast) and will ensure the hook at least is not snagged but would also probably stop tangles too.

Rich