what to do in this situation

Andy_1984

went for a spoit of lure fishing on the canal before i went to pick up my nephew, caught one about 4lb and turned one 8ft from bank. it was a good 2 hour session But...

i heard some guys bite alarms going and i assume hes into a pike so he strikes into it and shouts "Get the net!" to his mate with a can of carlsberg in his hand who shouts back "Wheres the net!"

so im looking at his rod and its near bent in half i look at his spool and its not even moving so the drag was locked up tight just then he shouts "£$%£ its snapped!" followed by "Thats your crappy rig mate"

his mate responds "its that 12lb Diawa line its s*** it done that last time"

at this point my face is almost red with anger

i walked past to another swim and asked him what happened, and told me "ack it was only a carp not a pike" like it meant nothing at all.

:uhuh:

Edited by Andy_1984

Sounds like one of those ocaisions that i have had quite a few times. When you get so wound up with some one but your on your own and it really aint worth the trouble getting out your tree about it.

When your on your own its best to keep your emotive feelings under control and put it down to experience.

The thing that always gets me is numptys always seem to catch fish, Why is that?

Edited by wayne baker

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

dunno why but it does seem to happen a hell of a lot on canals ?

The look on their faces was pricless though when i had caught a pike, 20 minutes later they all packed up :D. they were a bit of a pain in the arse as they were trying to pick lice off it while i was unhooking, a few times i had to say p*ss off

If you see them regularly, give the EA a ring and invite them to do a licence check - same goes if the water is controlled by a club.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Free canal in Scotland. No EA and no club.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

We have SEPA, yes but they don't have to powers to act on a Scottish canal. It's a free for all. There's LCAP (The Lowland Canal Angling Project) who did work on the canal etc. and also tried their level best to charge for permits etc. but again, their charges have no basis in law and therefor their toll cannot be enforced. If I thought LCAP had the manpower to enforce the permit, it would be great for all concerned but sadly, I cannot see a canal running through the worst areas in Glasgow, ever having a presence willing to take their life in their hands for the sake of £3. You'd have to be mental to want to ask for a permit on that canal. They are aware of this though. I told them as much at an LCAP meeting several years ago. The main question for me was how?..in every sense of the word.

.....Andy..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...