Big Chuckin'

Wordbender

i suffer that exact same problem with my fishing aswell (i also own 8010s). horrendous line twist on one reel and absoloutely bugger all on the other. a couple of things ive found that helps is not using daiwa infinity for a start because its naturally twisted where the two colours are put together. try somthing like shimano technium( my choice ) or fox soft steel because they have a low memory for mono lines. also ive found that the way you spool up affects the line for the first half a dozen trips. if you get a bucket of warm water and place the spool of line in there for 10 minutes prior to spooling upit softens the line and for some reason this works (dont ask me why but it does). if you check which way the line comes of the spool aswell by hldng it on the side and pulling the line off.one way will give you bigger coils than the other this is the way to wind it off after heating it up. the other way i found was to put te rods down and walk across a field with the line as you said earlier.

Hope this helps

PS dont knock 8010s there still in my opinion one of the best reels around the only thing i think that betters them is the new xt10000's. and if you can hit 170+ yards with them why change.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for twisting braid, try using one of the "Bonded" braids, like spiderline. The strands of the braid are stuck together, to stop the line flattenning as it passes over the line roller. It cost bundles of dough, but lasts a long time. I use 30lb on my Aerlexs and haven't seen much twist at all.

The other thing is to check the line rollers are rotating properly on the bale arms. If one reel twists and the other doesn't, one roller could be sticking every so ofetn. I rinse mine out regularly with hot soapy water. Then a quick spray with WD 40, working the roller back and forth gently, will flush out any dust and lubricate properly. You'll probably be surprised at the difference.

As far as twistbusters go. They do work, but you sometimes have to cast them out 10 or so times. Remember that you put twist in the line every time you cast out and reel in. If you cast out 10 times in a session, one cast with a twist buster will not get the twist out. One final thing, not all reels rotate the same way. The old Mitchell 300, rotates the other way to the 300S, which was basically the same reel, except the spools were skirted. Twist busters only have slots cut in them to work in one direction. If you use them on a reel which rotates the other way, you put twist in, instead of taking it out ( I may be teaching to the knowledgeable on that one, but not EVERYONE will know that fact).

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk Fairley:

As far as twistbusters go. They do work, but you sometimes have to cast them out 10 or so times.

Been there, done that - ripped-up the T-shirt.

Spin Doctors (I'm assuming these are what you are referring to, Dunk - 'Twistbuster' is an anti-twist reel feature, I think, mate)- simply don't work for me, and I've now tried them in ALL designs. In fact, by casting and retrieving the one I've got now close alongside the bank, I know that the bl00dy thing doesn't even spin - it just wobbles.

I've tried varying the retrieve, from slow to hyper-fast, plus casting as many as 30 times. Result - line twist is WORSE. Spin Doctors do NOT work on my setups, more's the pity.

I guess I'll just have to keep dragging my line through wet grass. Boring, but effective. :rolleyes:

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

sorry, sorry, sorry.

the line should have been Berkley Fireline and it shgould have been spin doctors.

blame a 4 hour drive to work and a three hour drive home, after all, it is 50 miles each way! (3/4 hour to cover 40 miles on the motorway, followed by 3+ hours through Livingstonia)

I've got a design in my head, for a device which can be fitted to an ordinary lead, which will be guarenteed to spin the twists out. I'll try and get a few made. Any potential field testers out there? The first 5 who e-mail me on my profile address, will go on the list.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk Fairley:

Any potential field testers out there? The first 5 who e-mail me on my profile address, will go on the list.

Obviously, I've overslept again (pesky rooster, never could rely on him :rolleyes: ) and I'm too late to make the field tester list by legitimate means.

So, CAN I BE A FIELD TESTER, DUNK? HUH? HUH? CAN I?

After all, s'my thread an' that.

Gorn. :)

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.