braided mainline on baitcasters

Arf

Hi all,

I'm getting some new line for my lure tossing outfit today. Would normally be 12lb mono, but am tempted to try the much thinner and much more expensive Berkly fireline braid.

I'd like to ask if anyone has had issues with braid and baitcasters before buying it. I'd imagine not..

Cheers

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get too carried way with the thiness bit Arf. I would also reccomend Spwiderwire or Power Pro.

Best bet when buying braid is to forget about the breaking strain and buy a braid of a similar diameter to the mono you would normally use.As you say 12lb mono is your normal choice then look for a braid of around 0.32mm.

This way you will avoid the common problems people have when trying braid.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dont get too carried way with the thiness bit Arf. I would also reccomend Spwiderwire or Power Pro.

Best bet when buying braid is to forget about the breaking strain and buy a braid of a similar diameter to the mono you would normally use.As you say 12lb mono is your normal choice then look for a braid of around 0.32mm.

This way you will avoid the common problems people have when trying braid.

i had spiderwire on my lure outfit for 2 years, at first it got kinked and tangled a lot but that was due to the teflon coated spiderwire stuff im sure, after a few months of use it was a brilliant line to use.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

i had spiderwire on my lure outfit for 2 years, at first it got kinked and tangled a lot but that was due to the teflon coated spiderwire stuff im sure, after a few months of use it was a brilliant line to use.

Wasnt "Fusion" was it Andy?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Wasnt "Fusion" was it Andy?

it might very well have been.

dont get me wrong, it was good stuff after the teflon came off. why they put it on in the first place is beyond me as it was meant to stop abbrasions but after 3 months what are you to do when its came off ?

ive also had 50lb tide cutter on a spool for 2 years, the stuff is excellent and is very affordable

I've been a PowerPro fan for years, after a few unsatisfactory experiments with various firelines and spiderwires. PowerPro in 30lb or 50lb is my standard lure line now, and though it might seem pricey It lasts a long long time, and gets better with age (to a point obviously!)

I've been a PowerPro fan for years, after a few unsatisfactory experiments with various firelines and spiderwires. PowerPro in 30lb or 50lb is my standard lure line now, and though it might seem pricey It lasts a long long time, and gets better with age (to a point obviously!)

Another Power Pro vote from me, it'll pay for itself time and time again. Lightest I'd use is 30lb for lures up to 2 oz, 50lb for lures up 3oz, 80lb for lures up to 4oz, and 100lb for normal :lol: lures, anything over that!

Edited by Ducktape Corkfeet

Yup thought so! Spiderwire Fusion was horrible stuff! Then again Ive never liked any of the fused lines much prefering the braided ones.

thinking back again i remember that teflon crap causing problems with some knots coming undone, on one occasion i remember a uni knot just slipping straight through.

OK, sounds like there are a few options.

One thing I am finding difficult to understand is that everyone uses so much higher BS line in braid, instead of taking advantage of thinness. If I am wanting to replace 0.36mm 14lb mono, I could see that 0.26mm 20lb braid would be a win/win move.

However going to same diameter, 30lb or more, what is the point of that? You need to use a mono leader anyway, and whether your main line is 14lb or 400lb, you're not going to go much bigger than 14lb on your leader are ya?

So it's extra wind drag and visibility for the sake of ludicrously strong line you will never need...

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!