Use of pop ups

Neal

I plan my first winter trip in a week or two, short session at my local lake. I have never used boilies since I started carp fishing again back in the summer. I plan to use some bright flourescent pop ups on this trip. What is the best rig for these? :confused: A hinged rig I guess, but what is the best practice to make such a rig. Any help diagrams etc would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

Something like this in the simplest form maybe. Shot holding the hook length to the bottom and the hook and bait floating above? Apologies for my art!!!!

rig.jpg

[ 17. February 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Neal ]

Hi Neal, pop-up rigs can range from the bog standard braid to a stiff hinged rig, depending on the presentation required, the surface of the lakebed, and of coarse, personal preference.

A braid hooklink (hooklength) with a pinched on shot for anchorage is ideal for margin fishing or when using PVA bags because anything beyond medium range and they become prone to tangles. But braid hooklinks are good in/over weed and on a lakebed covered in rubbish. (I don't mean shopping trolleys, by that I mean leaves, twigs, etc.) This is because the braid will drape over things like twigs and leaves.

Braid with a Solar ‘Depth Charge’ for anchorage

gaffer04.jpg

Combi-rigs (pop-ups) are probably the easiest to use and are called such because they are a combination of a stiffer 'boom' section and a supple pop-up section with a split shot as anchorage. Using something along the lines of kryston's Snake-bite you can strip back and remove the coating to expose the supple braid for the pop-up section and leave the coating on for the stiffer 'boom' section. In doing so tangles are virtually eliminated.

The stiff hinged rig utilises a stiff hooklink material such as Amnesia or my preferred material is E.S.P. stiff link material. This rig was originally thought up by Terry Hearn and uses the stiff material for the 'boom' section and the pop-up section and is hinged and weighted using a loop knot and 'Heavy Metal' rig putty. The stiff hinged rig is totally tangle proof and is my favoured pop-up rig. But I don't use this rig in/over weed, in silt nor on lakebeds covered in rubbish.

The stiff hinged pop-up rig is so effective because it's very difficult for the carp to eject the hookbait once it has sucked it in.

Stiff Hinged Pop-up using a swivel (+ ring) as an alternative for a Loop knot, then coated in ‘Heavy Metal’ rig putty for anchorage. (note the bait band as a hair for hookbaits that vary in size)

gaffer05.jpg

As far a pop-up height goes I prefer to have mine as low as they'll go, sometimes only popped-up half an inch or so, but again, that depends on the situation.

Another tip would be to use Solar depth charges (or the Fox ones) which are like a split shot only they are held in place by a rubber insert. The weight can then be slid up or down the hooklink to adjust the height of the pop-up without damaging the hooklink, which a split shot will do.

Hope that helps, and I'll have a go at either some photo's or pics for you shortly.

[ 18. February 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer,

Is this one for http://www.carpclinic.com , perhaps?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE