Julian At Top Pool

Elton

fished an overnight session Saturday night with Julian :D snared my first Top Pool fish, albeit not a carp but a 2 and half pound tench :D

a fish tho is still a fish and was chuffed with it, got confidence in my rig again now :D

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went onto the top pool on Tues/Weds fishing the boathouse. Flicked a bait just off the tree to the right and within 1/2hour had a jerky take which resulted in a nice tench of 5lb, a welcome fish but those wily old carp keep avoiding me!!

The other rod was fished into a gap in the lillies, had a pick up from one of the none too friendly swans, hooked it too!!! Anyway after about 30 seconds of playing the manic beast the hook pulled - thank god it wasnt a carp!!!!!! No action during the night and then another one of those lovely summer downpours that we are getting so familiar with.

Anyway off to bolesworth on tues-thur for some (hopefully) light relief before i attempt the top pool again the following week. never visited it before so any tips would be very welcome. Keep on trying!!!

Hi Pete,

You should really enjoy yourself – Bolesworth is a cracking old estate lake with a good head of fish. It has been fishing extremely well of late. The snags swim is always a fave and if conditions are fair, you should bag up. As you go through the gate from the car park, go up the bank and then turn right and go up the lake. Go past all the swims in the woods till you get to the stile and go over into the field. The swim is the first on your left over the stile. Fish tight to the snags, which are actually overhanging branches, etc; best to fish locked-up, and you should score. The only problem is getting on the swim but you stand a better chance mid-week.

From memory there is one spot where there is a little bit that dips in, only about a foot or so, but if you can see it, clip up and cast into it. Every time I’ve fished it I’ve caught loads.

Most of the swims on there will produce and all have fantastic features. At the car park end you are fishing in around 4½ - 5 foot of water, and as you go up the lake towards the castle it shallows to two of three feet. I often used to fish half way up the field dropping single tiger nuts under the branches of a small Willow in about 18” of water – very productive.

Not been up myself for a year or more but Miffer has been up there quite a bit this year and has been having fish from all over. There is a great head of carp and average size is well into double figures - all the fish are mint (loads of cracking commons). I heard last night that a mint 26+ came out a few days ago and other low twenties have been out very recently.

Last time I went on I had this little fella on a single tiger under the willow;

bolesb7w.jpg

Let us know how you go on mate.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

All great fish, nice one.

Now I can remember what a carp looks like!

I have been expecting my blankedy blank cheque book and pen in the post from the club secretary!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well ive finally gone and done it!

landed my first top pool carp all 21lb 3oz of it!

How pleased was i to get this first fish caught from the pool. Was fishing the boathouse swim casting to the lily line. Got a guy from the main lake to video the fish for me and the result was a little disappointing! Lost another 2 during the day as well, oh if only!!! Given me a real confidence boost on the water as i was mentally struggling i must admit. Speak soon.