pike jumping out of water.

Andy_1984

When fishing surface lures this can happen, which is why you need to only use this method if you don't have a heart condition.

A warmish calm day, teasing a lure across the lily-pads, allowing it to drop down at the gaps and skip back onto the next pad, disturbing the dragon flies and damsel flies, and the steady buzz of various hazes of water flies dancing in shafts of sunlight.

Completely mesmerised and relaxed.

Then around 20lbs of aggressive pike suddenly leaps clear of the water at your rod tip - missing the lure, and sending waves to rock the lily pads, leaving you staring at the boiling water where the fish disappeared, your heart thumping in your chest.

As I say, not good at all if you have any kind of heart condition!

I once had a jack take a spoon before it hit the water, leaping out to intercept as I was casting beneath the branches of a near bank tree. That was excitingly unexpected too.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ive seen it happen plenty of times when fishing a clear lake with lots of bottom weed with fish hitting both our lures and presumably natural prey on the surface. I could only conclude that the fish were lying up in the weed and exploding vertically to take the lures.

as Leon says, it's heart stopping stuff.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ive seen it happen plenty of times when fishing a clear lake with lots of bottom weed with fish hitting both our lures and presumably natural prey on the surface. I could only conclude that the fish were lying up in the weed and exploding vertically to take the lures.

as Leon says, it's heart stopping stuff.

indeed, seeing the pike actualy take your lure in a fit of madness is heart stopping, i was fishing a dam last year with a little white holographic toby and only 2 feet from the bank where it was crystal clear a pike of 5 or 6lb there abouts swerved out from some weed bed and connected with my toby but didnt hook. it swam away then came back a second time to have a go, that time i got it :D

glad to see you found your username and password mike. you should use your account more

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

this has happened a lot this weekend and i have seen pike jumping before but never like this weekend.

ive been in the lakes on a point that gives you the options to fish a lot of depths as its a fairly steep shelf straight from the bank that at 40 yards gets you to 80 feet or so.

What we have witnessed for the 1st time was groups of pike chasing charr up from the depths (what depth no idea) and youd get charr leaping followed by decent pike boiling and leaping clear of the water

we didnt catch any though on deads and am gutted didnt take any lures

yarp, thats me back online.

missed you at the canal today Andy. only caught one, but the tench or going mental up there.

Up for a bagging up session tommorow mate?

Oh yeah one of the lads pulled out a ruffe from the basin. First time i have heard never mind seen one being pulled out from there before. Spikey we pricks they are