Help with maximum casting weight

Dante

Hi

I wonder if you can help me with a little problem.

I use 12ft 3lb tc Harrison Ballistas and am not really sure of what the maximum weight i can safely go to (with a shock leader) are these rods capable of dealing with 5oz leads for instance without damaging them.

Hope you can help lads as i am a bit reluctant to go above 3oz at the moment for fear of damaging these beautiful rods.

not strictly true but a good rule of thumb fantastic.

Dante I also use 3lb TC. rods, and regularly cast out 4oz leads, If everthing else is balanced as in the mainline, and I also use shockleaders if going over 60 yards then you should be fine, you would struggle to snap a 3lb TC on a cast.

Frank Warrick noted as a huge distance caster uses 3.5 TC's but thats with a 5oz lead , I never feel the need to go that heavy even on my max chuck.

4oz will be plenty havy enough i feel for most anglers with profficient casting abilities, your rods will handle that certainly

[ 31. August 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Harrison ballistas are quite floppy rods and I wouldn't go over 4 personally because they just don't feel right to me (I have a pair). You can give 5 ounce leads a try - they won't break the rod unless you cast really powerfully or you use one of the more stressful casting styles like pendulum or off the ground (the latter may break the tip section). I would ask why you need 5oz leads for example ? Try 4's and see what it feels like as that's probably most important as far as ultimate distance goes.

Rob.

I have the same rods and find they work fine with 3oz leads but are a bit overgunned with anything heavier 4oz being the maximum weight I have ever used.

If its optimum distance you want then 3oz (90grm)will see you right; whatever your casting style.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ok guys thanks for the replies.

I have been using 3 oz and doing okish with em 110 yrds max (measured) but to achieve this i had to go to 0.28 mainline (mono) and shockleader which tbh i thought was a bit silly especially as i hear of others doing 150+ (are they all using low mainline bs/diameter to achieve these distances? or am i just a lousy caster :P ) this was why my original question about max weight, trying to confirm my own observations without risking the rods.

Oh and before anyone asks, i am trying to get those distances to enable me to fish to an island on my club water that at its closest point is 114 yrds away and is approx 50 yrds long, thats where i have been seeing the fish, keeping out of most of the anglers casting range including mine at the moment :D .

Maybe its time for some casting tuition anyone recomend someone local ish to eastbourne? or maybe the rods just arent man enough? any ideas?