Red/black rod whipping silk

Worms

I was just wondering whether anybody might have some red/black 'jasper' whipping silk to spare. I have an old Milwards carp rod that needs the butt ring re-whipping. It would be nice to keep it all the same.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I was just wondering whether anybody might have some red/black 'jasper' whipping silk to spare. I have an old Milwards carp rod that needs the butt ring re-whipping. It would be nice to keep it all the same.

I have a Milwards Swimversa which needed a new tip ring and I had used all my red marl up. I simply used a cherry red silk which had black felt tip splodges every so many inches, you'd be hard pushed to tell that it is not original!

I have a Milwards Swimversa which needed a new tip ring and I had used all my red marl up. I simply used a cherry red silk which had black felt tip splodges every so many inches, you'd be hard pushed to tell that it is not original!

Cheers Peter, it was an option I had considered but was unsure of the reaction of the dope and varnish etc. I will have to experiment with my waterproof markers!

The rod was, shall we say, a bit of a bargain and is in pretty good nick with nickel silver agate lined rings throughout.

Nick

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thanks Dave, I didn't think to look for a nylon thread. To be honest I've had problems in the past with trying to match nylon whipping to existing silk because of the colour/opacity changes when it's doped and varnished. Having said that perhaps I shouldn't be too bloody finicky. After all a functional rod is better than a 'bean stick' sat in the garage!

Nick

Have you tried the local tackle shops. Some have it all in stock. Quick phone call will confirm :):)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

To be honest I've had problems in the past with trying to match nylon whipping to existing silk because of the colour/opacity changes when it's doped and varnished. Having said that perhaps I shouldn't be too bloody finicky.

You could always redo all the whippings! :D

Dave

dlstsig.png

Have you tried the local tackle shops. Some have it all in stock. Quick phone call will confirm :):)

I denuded all of the local tackle shops of their old stock silk, rings, etc... a long time ago :cry:

You could always redo all the whippings! :D

I could also take up carp fishing! :D