Baitrunner sensitivity.

Howard 13

I am using Shimano 6010s with the BR sensitivity on the minimum.ie the easiest to pull out.Nearly every session I do I'll get a little run where a bit of line comes off the reel, but its never enough to strike on.

I don't know what fish are causing this but would it pay me to increase the resistance of the baitrunners?

I'm using 2.5 oz leads bolt rigs.

Cheers.

HB.

Hi,

I also experienced the same thing!

I think it may be because the fish are wary and are not taking the bait fully into their mouths! You could try very light running leads or very heavy bolt rigs!

You could also try to get the fish feeding harder by using particles and heavy feedingor scattered light feeding etc!

Just try something different really!

Hope this helps!

P.S.I would like some more experienced anglers to either back this up or contradict what i have said as i'm only 14 and only been fishing for 3-4 years!

Howard,

what baits are you using? and whatspecies of fish are in the water?.

Bet you that yhere are Bream and Chub in there!.

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

Frostie:

I think it may be because the fish are wary and are not taking the bait fully into their mouths! You could try very light running leads or very heavy bolt rigs!

i totally agree. either scale down and fish lighter, or make them have it with a 5oz ball bomb pushed onto a short length of silicone. the fish must be able to lose the lead, yet the lead must still pull the hook home.

with lighter leads, fish slacker lines and sink as much line as you can. fish for bites with light bobbins, or just watch the line.

i would go for the lighter lead option and fish smaller hooks until i caught whatever it was.

hope this helps. frostie, spot on!

**sam**

I'd have to agree with everyone.

I had a similar problem a couple of seasons ago when using double 14mm hookbaits when I kept on getting 2 or 3 short aborted runs per session. :(

I then stepped down to single hookbait. Within minutes of casting out the alarm sreamed off and after a pathetic scrap a Bream came to the net.

As I was about to net the bream I noticed that the Bream only had the boilie in its mouth and wasn't actually hooked!

As soon as it saw the net it let go of the bait and just as I had a vision of a slime free net the Bream jumped into it!! :rolleyes:

My conclusion, apart from Bream being stupid, is that the Bream were only picking up the hookbait and running with it until the resistance from the lead pulled the boilie from its mouth.

The Bream I caught just didn't want to let go! :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Some interesting points have been raised, though as Spiderfan has touched on, I think you need to differentiate between liners and dodgy takes.

Does the water you are fishing contain a large head of silverfish? I’ve fished waters before where this has been the case and had similar experiences, rather than change rigs, I’ve just turned the baitrunner tension right up, this way you may still get the odd bleep from liners, but takes will be definite.

To be honest, in most cases I have the baitrunner tension on maximum anyway, as I feel fishing almost locked-up helps to set the hook when you get a take.

If it’s definitely aborted takes, then I’d agree with all that’s been said, tackle down to catch whatever it is that’s having a nibble, or beef up to try and deter their attentions.

Cheers,

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I totally agree with julian. I give line begrugingly in every situation, including the take. Tight baitrunners, in conjunction with the rig and lead help get that hook home and may convert twitchy takes into runs.

I usually fish a short drop on my hangers. A fish moving off with the bait will, after a few inches, hit the line clip, and then a tight baitrunner. This helps to keep the line between the rod and fish as tight as possible, Slacker lines on the run tend to allow the lead to bounce, which I feel can bounce the hook right ot of the fish.

Singy

Paul Singleton

Thanks for the replies.Some interesting points.

I'm fairly sure they're not liners due to the amount of line coming off the baitrunner.I've been having a lot of bream, so what Gaffer says makes perfect sense.There are chub present as well Keith.

So anyway, my question is answered, I'll try tightening them up a bit to try and turn them into proper takes.

Thanks to you all.

HB.

hello howard 13 crafty here iuse 8010GTS TOP NOTCTH REELS iuse runin leads.inlines etc do you use line clips? if you are getting shy runs with slack baitrunners a line clip will help to hook the fish as the fish moves off with your lead the resistance from the l/clip sets the hook i use fox ball clips there adjustable just twist em roun d though when you cast in your line can end up catching i hope this helps in your quest for carp tight lines ....crafty.....