Avoiding tangles

Geoff johnson

Has anybody any tips to avoid getting tangles especially when fishing at range using the line clip also getting back to the mark at night when you cant see the lead to feather it down.there is nothing worse than knowing your rig may be lying on the lake bed in a heap.

well i think you have allmost answered yourself there Geoff, Tangles? well what sort are they? wind knots or hooklink probs? If i am fishing at extreme range then I would usually opt for a helicopter type of setup... In the day at range you need to use your clip and cast to your sight marker, ie; a tree, building or whatever, at night you will still be using your clip so the distance is ok, but the feathering can be a prob as you cannot see the flight. I generally cast hard and feather it down by counting the seconds, to which I know roughly when it will land, its an art to be fair, at night I also let it hit the clip and who knows how its lying but we allways seem to catch more at night.. If you wanted the perfect presentation then obviously a bait boat is the thing if your into that type of fishing. I tend to aim at a tall tree which can give me a good horison outline, even in darkness hours, (but that isn't allways possible i know)...interesting question though..

[ 30. September 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Edd makes a fair comment........if you're not at range a PVA bag certainly removes any doubt. I would take that one stage further and say a stringer or small PVA web bag is very effective for avoiding tangles, especially at night!!

For your night casting, try something like magic marker. If you tie this at rod tip after casting and clip to this (at the rod tip) you will feel the marker knot rattle through the rings and should feather straight away......it should hit the clip and drop on the button!! Use the tree/pylon silouette tip for lining up and you won't go far wrong m8!!

Cheers

Treach515

Treach515:

Edd makes a fair comment........if you're not at range a PVA bag certainly removes any doubt.

Cheers

Treach515

I don't think using a pva bag removes doubt at all. I would still feather every cast to give me a chance of a better lie/lye?. Allthough I can see where your coming from, if you were to put your end tackle and lead inside the bag, but That would not gaurantee no tangles during the cast. or even nice presentation that we all seek. Certainly wouldn't remove doubt to me..

The day an angler can actually remove any doubt of tangles and perfect presentation will make that person instantly very rich, other than wading and placing by hand

[ 03. October 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

I have seen medium range casts with a bag and its fell in a total heap in shallow water, come on, if that doesn't need perfecting with back to basics then tell me what does.. I have seen all too often "my bag is on and I will launch it 70 yard, tangle free/perfect presentation"..sorry it don't work, but if you try and tell the angler his mistake he tells you your interfereing in want for better words.. I don't personally bother now in advising bankside anglers, as more of the younger generation with respect to the minority have no manners.. and my fuse is shorter than it used to be :confused:

[ 03. October 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

where i fish semi fixed and bolt rigs are banned so i have to use running ledger. how would you cast out with out a pva bag and be pretty confidant that your rig did nt get tangled? im always willing to learn new things :)