anglers with disabilities

telefisher

hiya folks "Telefisher here" making an enquiry, firstly i explain, now for several years my good lady has enjoyed getting out and about, but with her increasing illness, and now being reg disabled, on one hand as "Bikers" we always have a laugh in the face of adversity, but lately im getting pretty growly at seeing how down she gets, now we love being out fishing together, as much as we laugh we know that like my giving up me bikes so she aint at risk, fishing is the one thing i dont want to see her miss out so now i am seriously now looking into trying to help not just her but many others similar, i have a seed of an idea,but what i need to know is "Just what items are there kit wise and tackle wise to really help folk ? with or facing generative disability, i am looking to get a general idea of stuff other than Rods & Reels,before i begin putting together what i have in mind !, working with/for folk with major barriers in lifei s something not alien to me, but i do believe i am seeing something lacking, and mayhaps i could have a go helping, after all fishing is for all to enjoy and like riding bikes i dont believe there should be obstacles in the way, i would greatly greatly appreciatte all views/comments, cheers :clap2:

For me without doubt the most useful aid is that of a fit able bodied person. I am lucky in having an angling son who will either come with me and help with heavy gear, or drop me off, launch my boat for me and come back and help me recover it.

Lots of the places I used to fish, I know I will never see again, because no kit is going to help me climb fences, walk up and down steep hills, get down steep banks, or simply walk from the nearest parking places (even with a blue badge).

The boat is the most freedom giving item, yet the downside is the literal pain in launching and recovering it, even picking up a trolling motor battery the wrong way can lead to the day being written off. I am more mobile and so feel more independence in my boat than in any other part of life. I feel a bit aggrieved that on my local lake i can't get a permanent mooring pitch for it, and am told it could be years before my name gets to the top of the waiting list, and there are boats sitting there that havn't moved in years.

I think that the disabled person has to be prepared to be flexible, perhaps changing fishing styles, sometimes species and venues. For example I met a former soldier friend on a trout fishery, he had, had a stroke and was paralysed down one side, he had been a keen beach angler, now he uses a pole to catch trout, he can't manage a reel. He needs his partner to drive him to the water.

My condition prevents me walking more than a few paces until pain kicks in, I use a cane or staff as a walking aid. I have full upper body mobility, can drive myself and last year I tried re taking up sitting down type fishing, specifically feeder fishing on the lake for my shore sessions, but I find that the amount of gear needed to do it properly, pods, bank sticks, seat, ground bait, nets, brolly etc means that trips are no easier then my preferred style which is roving casting lures or flies.

Venues make all the differerce, specifically somewhere to park really close and launch a boat makes all the difference. A mobile phone is crucial, it gives the reassurance that help can be summoned if needed, prior to their availiabilty I wouldn't do the things I do now.

I'm not sure if that is useful to what you have in mind, but that's my experience.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Hiya emma two, "Telefisher" here, thankyou, yep i haul both "old lady", her bits and mine no problem, hers as you is mobility bad but its her struggling to grip, i have an idea which i think will benefit many, at the mo i`m nosing, looks as if i am onto something, cos so far over three months trawling has shown nothing as to what i have in mind, must look a bit more to be sure but i am gonna put me "spanner" head into gear with a raid ot two on a couple of workshops, if it works out then its the legalities/design side to tie up, research at this stage is vital as you will appreciatte, but hey- looks like i now have two "guinie pigs" for future trials, hate being rude but are there times that you, as my "midnight" has to use a wheelchair ?, be interested to know, many thanks and best wishes girl, :clap2: