Backleading

Les

As the signiture says I am as simple as my rig, I have never come across backleads or do not know what they are used for. Can some kind person explain to a novice? Ta

Hi all, backleads are a light lead, some where around the 3/4 - 1 1/2oz, that clips onto your mainline after you have cast out.

You basically cast out to your chosen spot, then clip on the backlead. By keeping the mainline tought you then allow the backlead to slide down the mainline to the lakebed.

The job of the backlead is to keep your mainline tight to the bottom of the lakebed so that Carp aren't spooked by your line. Using backleads also prevents line bites which in some instances may spook the Carp. Imagine a Carp approaching your bait and then coming accross your mainline (by either seeing it or feeling it) which is at a 45 degree angle from the bank to your baited rig. It'll suss straight away that it's a trap!

Some anglers drop the backlead right under the rod tips, but IMO the steep angles cause too much resistance. I tend to allow my back lead to slide out as far as I can, up to 3/4 of the way out towards my baited rig.

Bite indication isn't a problem when using backleads provided the angles aren't too steep from rod tip to backlead and backlead to lead/rig.

I've never had a backlead tangle/cross another line causing a tangle, not even when using 4 rods. Whilst the Carp is 'running' the line is passing through the backlead. It isn't until the rod is lifted and the mainline is taught that the backlead slides down to your lead/rig and out of the way.

Some waters that I fish you wouldn't even get a sniff without using backleads.

Things to watch for with backleads are gravel bars, weed beds, mussell beds, etc between your backlead and baited rig.

I'll add some pictures tomorrow to give you a better idea.

Hope that helps.

[ 12. September 2002, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

I'm not convinced by the suitability of standard backleads in the majority of fishing conditions. Unless fishing at distance in shallow water, i can't help thinking that back leads behave in much the same way as a bobbin, only they move long before any bite is registered at the rod end of things. This may not present a problem when fishing for belting runs, but I'd rather know exactly what's going on at the rig end of things.

My preference is to use leadcore to keep things on the bed in the area of the rig, and indicators which are as light as possible. The result being a fairly slack line from the rod tip, the point being that when a fish moves the bait the alarm sounds and the indicator moves, all without the droop being pulled out of the line from the rod tip.

I use backleads when it it absolutely neccessary, i.e. when boats and people swimming (I'm in Italy, dont forget!)cause problems, and often on rivers, in these cases I employ back leads of 3-4 oz. (made of rocks with silicon tubing superglued to them and paper-clips), which are heavy enough to ensure that I'm still in direct contact with the rig.

Hope this makes some sort of sense,

Jon

JoninItaly:

Unless fishing at distance in shallow water, i can't help thinking that back leads behave in much the same way as a bobbin, only they move long before any bite is registered at the rod end of things.

On the contrary, in using backleads you still get the same sensitivity, but without the linebites. But like everything, it's a balance, in getting your line tension, bobbin weight, backlead weight, right.

I always use 6ft of leadcore (unless it's banned) regardless of the situation, and most of the time I use 2 beackleads aswell. There have been some instances where I've used up to 5 backleads!

I know someone who has used up to 11!!

The only time I won't use backleads is in thick weed and when snag fishing.

hi all, i haven't used backleads yet.i haven't needed them any ware i fish.but i am going to be fishing a lake that has alot of boat traffic near

the bank and was wondering if they would be a good

thing to use to provent being picked up on every

prop that comes by.i would have to use them pretty

steep under the tips because the spot i will be fishing is on a wall that is about 3ft down to the water.do you guys think that this would be good idea or should i reel in every time a boat

passes.the only time that the boats are real thick is on the weekends.but in the week it is no ware near as bad.so maybe i should just stick to

week days if i can't solve the problem.

Red - boat traffic is the main reason any folks over here I know of use backleads. But those that do swear by them.

You will probably have to source them from the UK though or from Paul at www.wackerbaits.com since I've never seen them in a tackle shop in the US.

Unless Gaffer or someone could suggest how to make your own.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi all

I have never even contemplated using backleads befor for one i dont no how to use them properly and i have read somewhere that they are not sensitive at all but i went to a lake in franc eand people were using them there to avoid boats (canoes pedalos ) and they were catching the fish one ogf the blokes caught at least 10 20's! in 5 days i am thinking of going for a session on my canal and this is probably were id use them! also catton park has a flat lake bed wich would also help wouldnt it ?? please shed some light with some pictures gaffer mate!

cheers

james

BEEEEP BEEP BEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP