Welcome Graham, from another teacher and recent convert to carping. I still fish for other species though, particularly pike in winter. I don't live as far North, but I'm happy to help with tips, although I'm no expert yet! My big 'discovery' has been the lowering of a piece of crust onto the surface, straight under the rod tip, so no line touches the water. Stand back and..... it's about as heart-stopping as I can cope with!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I can't help re. venues around Scunny, but will instead add my Welcome to the Board. :)

As for tips, I'd recommend having a read through the Carp Clinic & numerous great articles available via the Homepage of Anglers Net.

I live in Louth, 16 miles south of Grimsby. There are loads and loads of day ticket lakes in the area from

Thoresby,

Oasis Lakes (Somercoats),

BrickYard Fisheries(Somercoates),

Vickers(Saltfleetby),

Oham Lakes (Maltby le Marsh - Good)

Willow Lakes (nice lakes - Carlton, Nr Manby)

Authorpe

Aby

Alvingham (good pond - lots of matches)

Belleau (supposedly good, I'll try it this year)

Sycamore Lakes (Burgh-Le-Marsh, nr skeg)

Woodland Fisher (spilsby - floodlights!!)

Langworth (nr lincoln) - 3 Very good/popular lakes all separately owned - one at the caravan site as you go in from louth end, one just past spar shop on left (hugely popular - has a syndicate lake as well if you are interested), and one which looks very nice on the right opposite the garage (although I blanked there last year).

Probably more out towards Lincoln and round up towards Grimsby/Scunthorpe but never ventured out that way too much (as you can see, there's plenty here!).

Ian W

Advice

The 2nd langworth lake look like man-made 'always catch' shallow lakes. Carp basking constantly, very highly stocked.

Aby has some monsters in there somewhere (we've had 15lb plus). It can fish badly, but you can see the fish when standing up on the high banks. Nice lake, nice and quiet.

Willow (carlton) is one of the guaranteed catch lakes in the summer and is hugely popular. Got a few lakes here, I've had fish to 12lb or so, but seen bigger. Has a fly lake, so worth taking a bit of extra gear in case you get bored. They have signs up about membership, but they do allow day ticket fisherman at a fiver.

Alvingham - check ahead, we hit two or three matches last year and got relegated to the second lake (where people caught to about 12 or 13lb). The main lake is well stocked, good fish.

Vickers. I had a few days of hitting stockies at 1 to 3lb and never went back. People pulling out good bream to 6 or 7lb, but I didn't witness big fish last year. Didn't go often.

Brickyard. One visit last year. Blanked. Huge lake, need to probably spend a bit of time prebaiting and getting to know the water. Saw a 15lb pulled out though in the margins on a pole.

Other than that we've witnessed some good carp in the Canal running out from Louth to Tetney lock, especially near Fulstow way (go to the resevoir, head down the little side lane running towards fulstow and find the green bridge). Gets very weedy, and you get a lot of pike, roach, perch as well (making it a reasonable day). We've never had a carp, but we've seen some *big* fish for what looks like uninteresting bit of water.

Ian W

Welcome Graham

cant help with locations as I am down at the @rse end of the Suffolk coast (Felixstowe)

you will get plenty of advice and tips here - just ask.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!