PELLETS HELP PLEASE

Severn Wolf

Sorry I shouted the header!

I`m really hoping that someone out here can shine some technical light on the difference between pellets and boilies in their production.

Dynamite boilies have matching pellets and so on which indicates that the ingredients are nearly the same to achieve the end results but where in the process does a boilie become a boilie and what happens to produce a rock hard and crumbly pellet??????

I`m currently writing a letter trying to explain to my club why boilies are not really that much different to pellets but could do with backing it up with some facts.

So, anyone in the baitworld out there who can help?....please....

[ 03. September 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Severn Wolf ]

wolf.gif

Hi wolfy

This gives you an idea of what pellets are! Boilies are made to target a carps full nutritional needs hence is a far better food sourse to be feeding.At the end of the day any of these pellet's can be made into a boilie by simply boiling it rather than heat drying it!!! Yet by banning boilies and increasing the use of pellets they are doing more harm than good!!!!!!

Coarse fish pellets

.Ingredients

Fish meal, Wheat and Wheat by-products, Soya meal, Betaine, Maize gluten meal, Fish oil, Vitamins & Minerals.

Chemical Analysis

Size Protein Oil Ash Moisture N.F.E

23 34% 7% 12% 7% 40%

40/60 31% 7% 15% 7% 40%

23 31% 7% 15% 7% 40%

Energy Distribution

Size Digestible Energy From Protein From Oil From Carbohydrate

23 14.36 MJ/kg 47% 18% 35%

40/60 13.76 MJ/kg 45% 19% 36%

85/110 13.76 MJ/kg 45% 19% 36%

Halibut pellets

Ingredients

Fish meal, Wheat, Fish Protein Concentrate (selected sizes), Fish oil, Betaine, Crustacean Meal (selected sizes), Maize gluten meal (selected sizes), Wheat by-products (selected sizes), Vitamins & Minerals.

Chemical Analysis

Size Protein Oil Ash Moisture N.F.E Nitrogen Phosphorus

23/30 56% 16% 12% 7% 9% 8.96% 1.6%

40/60 52% 22% 11% 7% 8% 8.32% 1.6%

80/110 50% 24% 10% 7% 9% 8.00% 1.5%

130/170/220 50% 24% 11.5% 7% 7.5% 8.00% 1.7%

Energy Distribution

23/30 18.60 MJ/kg 63% 32% 5%

40/60 19.85 MJ/kg 55% 41% 4%

80/110 20.28 MJ/kg 52% 43% 5%

130/170/220 20.20 MJ/kg 52% 44% 4%

Trout pellets

Ingredients

Fish meal, Fish oil, Maize gluten, Soya bean meal, Wheat, Vitamins & Minerals

Chemical Analysis

Size Protein Oil Ash Moisture N.F.E Nitrogen Phosphorus

18 50% 18% 9% 7% 16% 8.00% 1.2%

23 47% 19% 9% 7% 18% 7.52% 1.2%

30 46% 21% 9% 7% 17% 7.36% 1.2%

18 18.68 MJ/kg 55% 35% 10%

23 18.68 MJ/kg 52% 37% 11%

30 19.09 MJ/kg 49% 40% 10%

Hope this helps you educate your club members

I always thought that BOILIES were BOILED and pellets were :D not??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Pellets are made from fishmeal which is oily, fattening and high protein, they have other ingredients too as mentioned by Dazler, they are made into a 'paste' which is put through a machine which pelletises them and are then dried.

A boily contains mostly flour and egg, without the egg, the boily dough would just melt in water (like bread) but with the egg it is bound together, once boiled the egg hardens (like boiled eggs!) and I'd say that boilies are low to mid protein, the only protein coming from the egg, and one egg can make easily 30-40 boilies.

Dynamite baits (and others) produce pellets and corresponding boilies with the same flavours and smells, this is where the similarity ends, so I wouldn't go down this route if you are trying to argue that they are the same - they aren't - carp and other fish will have trouble digesting high protein foods (pellets, meat etc) especially when the water gets colder, moreover a fish with a belly full of high protein food stands a good chance of dying when winter comes as the food just rots inside them, they can however easily digest low protein foods such as bread (mostly flour), boilies (mostly flour), and vegatation such as corn and maize.

They generally won't eat it as they instinctively 'know' that it can't be digested, it's not natural for them to be taking in high calorie foods that cannot be digested easily, however all fish are individuals and some of them are just plain greedy and will eat anything and everything!

Carp are ectothermic, meaning that their metabolism and ultimately their digestion processes are controlled by their body temperature, which in turn is controlled by the surrounding water temperature, obviously in a world withut angling, 'natural' fish would fatten up in summer and utilise the stored fat through the winter, pretty much what they do now, which is why summer fishing is better than winter, the only 'fly in the ointment' so to speak is people feeding them the wrong foods at the wrong times of the year, high protein food eaten in winter will almost certainly damage the fishes liver, too much in really cold weather can kill them.

Some pellets are not high protein though, you can get low protein ones which I tend to use in spring and autumn and only use the oily ones from May to August.

Not all fish are the same though! - some predators for instance feed all through winter, pike, trout etc, but they are indiginous (they evolved in this climate) the carp did not, I believe it originatd in Iran or thereabouts, although it has now spread all over the world.

If you ever go to Scotland or anywhere else that's bloody cold, you'll find that they don't fish for carp as they don't grow too well or feed very mch due to the water temperatures.

quote:

They generally won't eat it as they instinctively 'know' that it can't be digested

I`m fascinated now mate!!!!

In some mags the `stars` are using large quantities of pellets in the winter and doing really well on them. I know its off subject but still part of the jigsaw.......

wolf.gif

Dazler

I use strekker course pellets which have all that detail on the bulk bags!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!