my first suprise dunk

mickbe

SAT 3 MAY O8. the weather looked pretty good clear sky 12 knot s/e wind. so i decided to have a go in chesil cove portland.it was an easy launch and with the wind pushing me i was soon 3/4 mile out .i got the gear down and was soon into some wrasse, pollock and the odd mac.id been out there for a couple of hours the wind had picked up i was reaching for the rear well and the next thing i was in the water.what a shock to the system. i didnt panic not alot anyway.i tried several times to get back in but it just wasnt happening i had no chace of swiming in and its suprising how knackering it is trying to get back in.so fearing the embaressment of having to be rescued i managed to launch myself in and head for the shore.

good points were i now know it can be done and i didnt lose any kit. but you can be sure i will be practising the drills before i go again.

good points were i now know it can be done and i didnt lose any kit. but you can be sure i will be practising the drills before i go again.

Good for you - one of the most important things you can do is practice re-entries. The more times you practice in different conditions the better. I've yet to come out by accident except when messing around in the surf but have tried it in most conditions now, including heavy surf. Like that I am confident in most situations. Just got to do some in fast current and messy chop now. It does get easier, I promise. Don't rush it, judge what the swell is doing, position yourself beforehand taking into account swell and wind and don't go head first over the other side as I have done on occasion ;D

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Chesil Cove isn't the safest venue to fish.

If conditions change you can get into trouble heading back in down there, and you have to drag the kayak back up the shingle.

Best to launch the other side and fish around Portland Harbour if you are a newcomer.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
Good for you - one of the most important things you can do is practice re-entries. The more times you practice in different conditions the better. I've yet to come out by accident except when messing around in the surf but have tried it in most conditions now, including heavy surf. Like that I am confident in most situations. Just got to do some in fast current and messy chop now. It does get easier, I promise. Don't rush it, judge what the swell is doing, position yourself beforehand taking into account swell and wind and don't go head first over the other side as I have done on occasion ;D
CAN YOU GET DVD'S ON SAFTY & THE ART ON GETING BACK ON A SIT ON TO KAYAK

Sorry about your dunking m8, just wondered what yak do you have?

post-14346-1210799760_thumb.jpg

thats my yak not bad for £100 hey.i have just fitted a fish finder, gps next.

i got dunked last year, was fishing nr a cliff around some rocks, swell picked me up, and put me on top of a rock, thus my balance went and i fell out! got back in after a few attempts thou, luckly it was the summer and warm!

lost my pliers thou :(

Wilderness systems Tarpon 120 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Last summer saw me off Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire, showing off my brand new Prowler Elite...Wife was filming me on the old vid cam and I set off for the back edge of the surf after the bass. Thought I was good at geting out through about a 4 foot surf, got myself all ready on the surf line, made my first cast and you gussed it, the bl**dy reel fell off.

OK nor problem I thought, but I would paddle back in and get the spare, wife wes still filming as I came in on the surf, boy does that prowler go fast on a 4 foot wave!!!!!

Anyways I got ditched off, hit me head on the bottom, took all the skin of my forehead and snapped me rod.

Tight Lines

The other weekend I took the kayak to the beach for a family day. Spent a good hour jumping off the kayak with my daughter and climbing back on. All good practice although I wouldn't want to be in a situation where the kayak is up side down and you had to right it first!