Carp and air pressue

Norfolkdan

Hi Norfolkdan,

In my experience, for what it's worth, there is no real 'window', in air pressure (or temperature), that induces carp to feed, or the opposite, and not to feed.

Again, in my experience, carp dislike change more than anything.

For example, if you have a couple of days of high pressure, then a couple of days of low pressure, the carp tend to switch off, because of the change. However, if there is a prolonged spell of high pressure, they will, and likewise with low pressure.

It's the same with temperature; if you have a spell of cold nights and warm days the carp tend to switch off, but with warm nights followed by warm days they'll feed.

Of course my views are very generalised and my 'theory' differs from water to water, but that's what I go by.

Hope that helps.

During my tenching I got to notice a few patterns of carp behaviour simply by watching them, which Im sure others havent missed!

High pressure sees carp cruising up in the water column, low pressure I get the impression they prefer to lay lower in the water column, Ive also noticed a greater tendancy for carp to crash during windy low pressure systems, than highs.

Although in general I would agree with Gaffer and Darreng I would have to say that I have definately had better resulkts in Winter with carp during low pressure conditions.

As for cats.I suppose in general I would have to say high pressure here in the UK.Purely due to high pressure bringing warmer weather.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

surely in winter , low pressure means warmer, ie no frost ? Ergo carp must be more mobile , being cold blooded, and ergo again need to feed more. Or am i wrong...feel free to do a red baron ...(shoot me down in flames...)

keith.

Well, in winter warmer is certainly better. Not sure if frost or lack of it has much effect on water temps. It may - I just don't know.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

LOL @ Nightwing

How can I trust anybody crazy enough to live up in the frozen northland when there is decent weather down south?

:D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President