Accurate scales?

Kappa

I think it's a fair point, and the discontinuities in the frequency distribution look suspicious, but that your sample size is too small to be conclusive. I think you should trawl through all the back issues for more data ;)

I'm just wondering how you would statistically test your contention - some kind of ANOVA, perhaps, if you added samples from other weeks, which would let you separate the effect of lower/upper with the overall effect of size?

I do have one more issue, I can look in that one. I'd say an ANOVA or some sort of t-test should show it tho stats aren't my forte!

Rich

Everything you read in the carp mags is suspicious to say the least!

Did that fish really weigh what the captor claims?

Did that chap really use this crazy rig to catch that fish?

Was this super new bait what this fat carp was really caught on?

Did this sponsered angler (so sponsered, in fact, he looks like an F1 car) really use all his comapny's gear - and if so, did it really make a difference?

Carpers' huge mats/slings are, I'm sure, the cause of many mis-weighs, especially with smaller species. Having said that, if people are in the mags week in, week out, they must be under considerable pressure to keep coming up with the goods, especially if they're sponsered (and these days, who isn't?). So, 'rounding up' must happen now and again :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I do have one more issue, I can look in that one. I'd say an ANOVA or some sort of t-test should show it tho stats aren't my forte!

Trouble with ANOVA is that being based on t-tests it's sensitive to deviations from normality in the underlying distribution. There's a non-parametric alternative that isn't, but it only does the equivalent of one-way, which is a bit pants. With small samples and a dubious underlying distribution, it might cough up dodgy results, but I really can't think of any other way of going about it. I bet there's an established technique for measuring sampling bias for something like gill net data that could be applied, though.

I think ANOVA is a bit old hat now, most users have switched to ACORSA I believe.

Geoff