Lure landing net?

Lee-sox

As the new season is quickly approaching :D:D i am in the process of of buying new tackle, got a nice new rod from deepinvader an abu 5501 from jeepster and some new lures from harris angling.

Now its time for a new net, the carp net i have been using is totally useless in the boat and for trebles getting tangled, i didn't even use a net from the boat last year i chinned them all but that can be a bit dodgy when one set of trebles is out of the mouth or right where you chin the fish.

The two i have been looking at are the huntsman from Harris angling and the masterline toothy criter pike net, now there is quite a price difference in the two, £50 for the harris and £25 for the masterline, my question is does the price difference reflect the quality and the fish safety difference?

I would also like to know peoples views on other similar nets.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

I personnaly find the Harris net the same as their rods,over priced and of a poor quality.Not used the Masterline one so can not comment.Why not go to your nearest stockist and have a look.LEEDA used to sell a remarkabley good lure/pike net called the Predator dont know if it is still available.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You can buy an almost identical version to the Huntsman net at The Lureshack, substansially cheaper.

I have not tried out the Masterline net myself, but I know that Peter Waller thinks highly of it and finds it excellent value for money.

Vidar Thomassen

I've just bought a Fastnet to solve the problem of landing pike from steep sided Fen drains. They do a so-called salmon mesh that is supposed to be ideal for lure anglers. www.redport-net.com

Not a very good website but you can contact them via MD@Redport-Net.com

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

If you can find a ruberized landing net it is ideal for lures (and good on fish too). Not sure about the ones being discussed here but I have one of these and love it.

Hooks don't catch in the mesh and it expands from the depth shown here to about 3 feet with a heavy fish in the net.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I note Lee-Sox that you live in the Broads area. A number of Broads shops, Amgling Direct at Beccles for example, sell a boat net aimed at the sea angling fraternity. Ally frame and handle, excellent net for lures and light blue spreader block but no trade name on them whatsever. The handle slides through the spreader block and across the frame and, if looked after, is successful. I used one for over three years without a single lure getting caught in the mesh. £26.00. It then got nicked and I bought the Masterline, £29.00, from Angling Direct. The mesh is softer but I haven't had a lure catch in it yet. I bought it in preference to the £26.00 jobby as, in principal, I prefered the handle set-up, especially as a net for roving the banks in the winter, it is that much more compact as a net to sling across my back, and the handle is telescopic. In my experience, and humble opinion, both are excellent boat nets. I have friends who have both mk1 and mk2 Huntsmen nets, the frame of mk1 was poor, mk2 is very poor, I wouldn't consider either at any price! I have since recovered the nicked net so have a cheap, £10.00, spare if you are interested, collect from Lowestoft!

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Lee-sox:

Now it's time for a new net .. I would also like to know people's views on other similar nets. Thanks in advance

Lee </font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lee

As you might guess, this topic has been covered several times in the past and you can track those Threads by using the Search option.

It's also worth reading this article HERE about frames and nets for lure-fishing. In fact the whole website's about lure-fishing and contains a mega amount of information.

You might also like to consider a frame and net from Sharpes

__________ Posted Image

Also check-out what's on Special Offer at http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/

DG

Last time I was in the States I looked at one of those rubber mesh jobs that you mention Newt.Didnt get one as I didnt have the balls to try something different!Do they last long?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The one I have now is on year number 3 of fishing at least once a week for most of the year. It stays in an open boat in my yard between trips so has been out in the weather for several years.

Still doing fine.

About the only fish I don't like to use it with are large carp (say 30+) when I'm trying to net for someone else. The opening isn't quite large enough for that if the fish tries to dodge. Fine when I'm netting for myself though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President