Need some advice

Jaxx

Hey there, i need some advice and i was wondering if anybody on this forum would be able to answer my question.

Me and a friend do alot of long session fishing at a local lake were the carp go up to roughly 34-40lb. Im looking to treat myself to a new set of rods and reels for the summer. I've got my reels ready to rumble but the rods are taking more time and lots of thought.

Test curve, im currently using 2.75 however i would like to downgrade to 2.5, i will just say at the lake we fish we've only ever pulled out a biggest of 18lb but my friend seems to have alot more fun reeling them in as his rods are both 2.5's. Should i downgrade or not because i really don't want to spend the money and have a snap, im rather paranoid that i get a weaker rod set, one snaps and it means i need to replace all 3.

Any advice/opinions on how strong a 2.5 would be and what i should get?

Brand, at the moment i have my eyes on this, however once again, people are giving me mixed opinions on Fox. Im not really looking to spend more than 170 not including postage on a new set which makes these rods very eyecatching for me because i know the brand isn't a bottom range brand but im not sure of the quality of that particular rod.

Once again, any advice/opinions possibly links on some good rods i should consider?

Thanks alot

~Jaxx - Jack

i see no reason why down grading to a lighter rod should be a problem. 2 1/2 tc is a good alroud rod. The questions you need to ask yourself is

Do you need the stiffer rod for extra distance?

Is the lake weedy and snaggy?

If the answers were yes then stick with the 2 3/4. But if no the lighter rod will be fine. You will enjoy playing the fish more then you will with the heavy rod. It seems to be the fashion nowadays for everyone to use heavy gear even when they dont need it. Fox Nash and wychwood all do good quiality budget priced rods. Dont worry about breaking your rods on a big fish. Going back a few years when i first started carping back in the late seventies we never had these big rods that we have now, And it didnt stop us landing big fish. My two biggest english fish were landed on north western 12 foot 1 3/4 tc with a cardinal 55.

I feel sorry for carpers nowadays theres such a choice in tackle and everone is always going to tell you whats te best rod reel etc. Its best to make your own choice. As long as your happy with its performance dont worry.

Tight lines Wayne

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

i see no reason why down grading to a lighter rod should be a problem. 2 1/2 tc is a good alroud rod. The questions you need to ask yourself is

Do you need the stiffer rod for extra distance?

Is the lake weedy and snaggy?

If the answers were yes then stick with the 2 3/4. But if no the lighter rod will be fine. You will enjoy playing the fish more then you will with the heavy rod. It seems to be the fashion nowadays for everyone to use heavy gear even when they dont need it. Fox Nash and wychwood all do good quiality budget priced rods. Dont worry about breaking your rods on a big fish. Going back a few years when i first started carping back in the late seventies we never had these big rods that we have now, And it didnt stop us landing big fish. My two biggest english fish were landed on north western 12 foot 1 3/4 tc with a cardinal 55.

I feel sorry for carpers nowadays theres such a choice in tackle and everone is always going to tell you whats te best rod reel etc. Its best to make your own choice. As long as your happy with its performance dont worry.

Tight lines Wayne

I see what your saying, its a very clear lake that i fish at the moment, but im not going to stay there my whole life, i will fish other locations which might be weedy and cause me to get snags. Im not fussed about launching the lead out too far, i don't believe in that working, i prefer to find a margin or a nice location shaded etc.

I would be using 15lb break strain fox warrior carp line. Ive used those for a fair while, cheap to buy in 1000m at my local shop and its performance hasn't let me down yet so i don't see any point in spending more on a different make line.

Thanks for the advice and i will keep an eye out for some wychwood and nash rods however i will probably get the warriors as i've seen them in some shops and i do like the look and feel to them.

Cheers

~Jaxx - Jack

Do get rods that you have faith in and that seem good to you.

Just bear in mind that a 1.75 lb T/C rod with a decent reel & good line will handle any fish that swims in UK fresh water without danger of the rod breaking unless it is mis-treated.

The reasons for going with a heavier rod have mainly to do with the amount of weight you need to cast and over what distances.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You could also consider three different TC rods. You can the fish one close in, one a bit further out and then launch the other one out to the middle :) Put a different reel on each (to match the performance) and you are sorted :)

But of course they won't match.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

You could also consider three different TC rods. You can the fish one close in, one a bit further out and then launch the other one out to the middle :) Put a different reel on each (to match the performance) and you are sorted :)

But of course they won't match.

Den

Good suggestion, and that's exactly what I used to do. Where I fish now is generally more distance and weedy, but my 3 rods still don't match !

Rob.