To swivel, or not to swivel.........

Gaffer

When using safety clips how many of you cut the swivel off the lead?

Two trains of thought....

1. Remove the swivel so that any movement by the carp and it should immediately feel the weight of the lead.

2. Leave the swivel on for easier discharge of the lead. And so that the smallest of movements will give a bite indication, before the carp feels the full weight of the lead.

Which do you do?

I like to remove the swivel, but I also modify the lead's wire by stretching it slightly with a pair of fine nosed pliers. This increases the possible movement of the lead on the clip and also makes the wire a little finer so that it slips of the clip more easily should the lead get snagged.

If required I also "doctor" the clip with a scalpel to widen the gap so that the lead can discharge very easily.

Essential to this whole set up is not to push the rubber on to the clip too hard.

I don't mind losing the odd lead , I would rather that than have the thought that a fish may be tethered somewhere and suffer a lingering death :(

The biggest reason I like to remove the swivel is because I have had a number of occasions when the hooklink has tangled around it, especially on a big cast.

Removing the swivel seems to have rectified this problem. :D

i do the same as mikeakabigman. There are now some leads around though, where the eye is especially big, for free running purposes. possibly fox, i'm not sure.

if the swivels were larger, i would possibly leave them on. that way, if the rig were to roll down a slope, it would be less likely to twist up.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org