Teflon coated hooks?

Gaffer

I've been using the ESP Big-T Raptors for a couple of months now and I'm quite impressed with them.

The Teflon coating to ease hook penetration seems a brilliant idea, do you think this idea will catch on with other manufacturers?

Has Teflon coatings ever been used on hooks before?

Gaffer:

I've been using the ESP Big-T Raptors for a couple of months now and I'm quite impressed with them.

The Teflon coating to ease hook penetration seems a brilliant idea, do you think this idea will catch on with other manufacturers?

Has Teflon coatings ever been used on hooks before?

Beware of abject advertising, as the Big T winks at you from the top of the page!

Op -JB

Don`t know about any of that mate but we used to have a welder work for us,we used to call him teflon, `coz what ever he welded never did stick.

Seriously though teflon is a very good friction reducer,so it will possibly aid hook penetration.

I haven`t seen any hooks with a teflon coating,so have not tried them. I wonder if they will be less prone to corrosion of the hook point also? As you will know dependent on the acidity of the water,and the composition of the steel used,it can corrode at quite an alarming rate. Contrary to what a lot of people believe,even lots of stainless steel compositions,do/will rust/corrode in just a normal damp/humid atmosphere. But I suspect that the blurb wil be the lesser friction thing,to enable easier hooking. If that is the case ,what about the other side of the coin,easier hook pulls? friction works both ways do`s it not?

Don`t know good question,that will possibly make people think! :confused: :confused:

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Just for your info gentlemen; teflon coated hooks have been around in the USA for a while now but were used mainly for saltwater fishing. Than some people started using them for inland waters and you know the results. The problem I have with these hooks is that they are much more expensive, you can not sharpen them (you will take off the coating) and if you loose your tackle to the fish, or have to cut him off because he is "gut hooked", it will take a lot longer for the hook to rust through and work it's way out. A normal hook will be gone in cats and carp in fresh water in about 2-5 days. I have no idea how long a teflon coated hook would last, but figure on about double that time. If I was fishing for the table, they would be on my line if they produced better, but in a (my) catch and release fishing, I will stick with the "here today, gone tomorrow" steel hooks (mostly Eagleclaw circle hooks).

Good fishin'; Hook.