Big chub

chevin

ricey:

a truely magical sight!

They certainly make your eyes pop when you see them - especially when they will take bits of bread thrown to them as confidently as you like!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

hi chevin

was there no way of getting up in the tree,and fishing from it?another good thing to do,takes time and is alot of effort and you may laugh but i would do it and know people who do.camou netting! its great!! you could make a small hide at the wtares edge,after making path,after disturbing them i'd bait up and leave.then sneak back before dawn.or id try wading in amongst the bull rushes(matty hayes got his seven by wading right near them to lower a bait)

as you have said no matter how carefull you postion yourself they know you are there, always the way with chub.i do like the coat over the fence :D

BTW i was'nt aving a pop,im sure you are a wello accomplished chubber.

i just get a bit militant when i see fish but cant get to them!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

The ash is on the other bank which belongs to a club, so cimbing that was not an option - and anyway, my tree climing days are pretty well over these days. I am a bit long in the tooth for that now.

I am sure that given the time some of the things you suggest may work. But I only had four weeks in the UK and my fishing time was a bit limited. I am sure that given the time I could have worked out something to allow me to fish the swim, but with only four or five days total on the fishery - and I didn't see the fish on my first visit - both resources and time were in pretty short supply. The coat was just something to try on my penultimate trip. I was able to borrow one and I draped it over the fence first thing in the morning and left it there for several hours. By the time I went back to it, the fish were there and unconcerned about it, but I still couldn't fish properly. No waders or even wellingtons made getting into the water out of the question. No doubt if I had had more time I would have viewed the prospects differently, but under the circumstances and in the time I had, it was just impossible to fish that swim in a way that would have given me a chance of catching the fish.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I've written about this before but new members may be interested in the problems with a chub I named Oswald. Why Oswald? Well it was the name Dick Walker gave to a trout he wrote about in "Drop Me a Line". Both his trout and my chub were in very difficult positions.

In my case, despite approaching Oswald as carefully as I could, I always spooked him. After several weeks of this I finally worked out a solution, (Yes, I know I'm slow on the uptake!)

Having spooked him for the umpteenth time, I measured out the length of the cast from a position well back from the bank and totally out of sight. The following day I returned, aimed at a marker on the far bank and cast into the water totally blind.

Thirty seconds later Oswald was on the bank. All two pounds fourteen ounces of him!

To this day I still count him as my "best" chub!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Great photo, I would have loved to see that with my own eyes.

In the summer by my local tesco store, The river runs along the side of it. And you can see some lovly big Chub then. I would say at least up to 5lb maybe 6lb.

nice tale steve,

i can fully understand why hes considered your best chub,a simular experience years ago when my grandad was still with us,he lived in walthm abbey anway there was(still is) a tiny brook/stream that run alongside where he lived,i was about 12 at the time,but i spotted chub!not biggies(well they was then!),and decide to chance my arm,cut a long story short i never got that/them fish ther was only two or three about at a time,i did hook one once on a piece of bread flake on my whip i was using....if i had useed a running line i might have landed it... :rolleyes::(

quest-go catch em!is it the upper lea?or the new river?

[ 08. December 2004, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I used to do some ground work around Cadbury's plant in Herefordshire. There is a sewage setup on the site and after the water has been cleaned it run's down a small channel into the Lug. During my lunch breaks I would go and watch the huge chub which used to congregate at the outfall. I was told the chub were getting sugars from the factory waste. When they were feeding you could actualy touch them gently with a stick.I never got to fish the water but I still dream of what it could have been like to land one of thos big fish.