boilie storage

jasep1

Please help, I've recently started using boilies and i'm not sure the best way to store them at home. Is a mesh bag best or would this dry them out and kill the flavour? Or should i use an air tight container to keep the flavours in but risk them going mouldy?

Like potty said m8,dont put them in a container,there go manckey quicker than julian cundiff's tan.Stick um in the freezer or if they were already frozen u can only air dry them,dont re-freeze them.fox or gardener do a good air drying bag ot trakker.Little tip for you tho,get a freezer bag put the boilies in add some liquid flavour then freeze them :D pukkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hi all,

jace:

Like potty said m8,dont put them in a container,there go manckey quicker than julian cundiff's tan.

LOL! :D

A nice mesh bag or wire tray is what you want for air drying and don't for get to keep them moving around every once in a while. They will go mouldy where they touch each other if you leave them for too long.

jace:

......dont re-freeze them.

I've re-froze my bait and not experienced any problems or decrease in my catch rate. Admittedly I use the re-frozen bait as freebies, crumb or for prebaiting, but they can be re-frozen.

I would also add that I only re-freeze them the once if I can help it.

Saying that, some baits work better once they have been thawed out and re-frozen a couple of times, Richworth Tutti-Fruiti I'm told being one of them.

Adding to that, a friend of mine will only use Active-8 if it is coated in white mould!!

[ 27 May 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

I've recently discovered a source of air dry bags that are so much cheaper than the ones the major tackle companies sell. My wife uses them to place her delicates in before they go in the washing machine.

She got them from Homebase and are only a few ££

Singy

Paul Singleton

Freezer burn has never bothered me. It has never seemed to make a difference to my baits.

The best way to reduce it is to make sure the surface of the baits are as dry as possible before they are frozen. Take out as much air out of the freezer bag. Then allow them to defrost fully in the same un opened bag before using. This allows all the moisture left in the baits to be taken back into them.

Adding a bulk oil before freezing seems to help too

Singy

Paul Singleton

Stalker:

Anyone got any good ideas on eliminating freezer burn or frost burn on your biolies...?..... a black sack reduces it but does not eliminate it.....

Stalker.

Hi Stalker

I once read by Jim Gibbinson that putting some uncooked rice in with them helps prevent freezer burn. I have never tried this, and freezer burn has never worried me anyway. I can only assume that the rice helps to keep the baits apart whilst in the freezer.

How much rice to amount of boilies he did not say.

Thanx for the replies.

Now i'm Confused. I wrote an e-mail to the carp doctor who said shelf life boilies contain preservatives so they wont go off in a container and so i should keep them in an air tight container to stop them from drying out and loosing their flavour.