rapidly loosing confidence

steve17

been out on many sessions so far this year putting quite a few hours in over all and have still not had fish on the ledgers. catch stalking and off the top but not one pick up off bottom baits, im rapidly loosing confidence in my rigs and baits as other anglers have been catching them from the same swims and features, often while iv been there.

my rigs vary a little from last year the baits arent much different, (both caught fish all last season), any suggestions and or ideas wud be great?

might be worth mention that im generally fishing to a clear gravel bar about 5ft over 12ft in clear water, fish are regularly seen topping/crashing/boshing over this. what rigs may you suggest trying, and what hooklength material,

many thanks.

steve.

Steve17, you're probably doing nothing wrong.

I had a similar experience a few years back and blanked from Aug right through to to March. That's 7 months without a fish, on a relatively easy water!

I watched a mate, who was the 'top rod' slay the water with the dodgy-est rigs you've ever seen. He used blunt hooks and all sorts!

I simply went back to basics - 8 inch Snakebite Gold Hooklink, with a Kamasan B175 hook and Knotless Knot, fished combi-rig style (2 inches of outer coating removed at the hook end of the hooklink). 2 1/2oz flat pear lead on a safety clip with a 4ft leadcore leader.

I then began to catch and my confidence came back. In fact my confidence was that high I felt I could catch anything from anywhere, which is what I very nearly did!

In the end my catch rate was back on track and the only thing that I had changed was my attitude/confidence.

Hope that helps.

[ 21. June 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer:

I simply went back to basics - 8 inch Snakebite Gold Hooklink, with a Kamasan B175 hook and Knotless Knot, fished combi-rig style (2 inches of outer coating removed at the hook end of the hooklink).  2 1/2oz flat pear lead on a safety clip with a 4ft leadcore leader.

If that's your basics, I'm glad you didn't suggest a complicated rig! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

ok thanks, i shall proceed, but with caution :D

the rigs have only really changed in length, and this year i have used short monos on one rod n usual braid rig on the other.

it can be rather frustrating to say the least watching other people cast to the same areas as yourself and they catch, you dont.

off tomorow will let you know how i get on

many thanks

steve.

dave n:

Garth

lancaster bomber just flew over my house!

<<Drool>> I wish I'd seen and heard that. An amazing site.

dave n:

If that's your basics, I'm glad you didn't suggest a complicated rig!   :D  

You should've seen the rig I was using before! :D

steve17:

ok thanks, i shall proceed, but with caution   :D  

the rigs have only really changed in length, and this year i have used short monos on one rod n usual braid rig on the other.

it can be rather frustrating to say the least watching other people cast to the same areas as yourself and they catch, you dont.

many thanks

Good luck buddy. :)

steve17:

ok thanks, i shall proceed, but with caution   :D  

many thanks

Your not using dodgy aftershave are you steve? :D:D

I have a suggestion.

Get someone else (preferably your other half) to bait your rigs for you and dont touch them yourself.

Your body gives off various signals and scents depending on your mood.

Anyone ever noticed that if you approach a water in the wrong frame of mind (bad mood, lack of confidence etc) that you struggle.

Your mind is a mess, you dont think straight or put much thought into you angling. You give off negative karma which amongst other things is transmitted through sweat. Sweat is on your hands and gets onto bait.

Go with a positive frame of mind and you normally catch. Your mind works well and your body is relaxed giving off a positive karma.

I blanked last week for the first time in a while.

I was all up for it but before leaving the house the kids kicked off, I had a barny with the missis and stormed off to the lake.

Rods were both cast to a favorite area and I had fish crashing to the left and right, bubbles and liners.

Did not even get a take. Just sat there stewing over a few things in my head and just knew I should not have bothered casting.

The night before everything including me was tip top and I had put a fish on the bank before even having time to put on a pva bag and hook bait on the second rod.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!