Spawning Carp

dragoncarp

I've been fishing my favorite spot and caught fish at a distance during spawning season. But never thought of dropping a line at the bank. Many times large fish swim by my feet or are crashing against the weeds a few yards from where I am fishing.

Will carp feed/bite while spawning?

If so, what method rig etc. would you use to catch them?

The fish which are actually in the act of spawing won't. But sometimes, you see other fish hoovering up spawn, not long after it's been laid (especially Tench). Fish cruising the margins, will often be on their way to a spawning site, or "pairing up" (which can actually be one female, with several males). Feeding is seldom the first thing on their minds.

However, I certainly wouldn't fish in an area where I could see fish actively spawning. Targeting these fish, however successfully, could be extremely disruptive and damaging to them, when they are at their most delicate.

If you spend time observing the fish, you'll often find areas away from the spwaning sites, which seem like the fish have "set aside" for feeding. You'll see fish grouping there, but not spawning. Find one of these areas and you're on a winner.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunk Fairley:

.... However, I certainly wouldn't fish in an area where I could see fish actively spawning. Targeting these fish, however successfully, could be extremely disruptive and damaging to them, when they are at their most delicate. .....

Dunk - I agree about leaving the spawning areas alone. Especially for the bedding species, very disruptive.

Unless you are dealing with a puddle where a successful spawn is the last thing the owner wants.

Or unless you are dealing with a lake like the ones I usually fish (and probably dragoncarp as well) where there are thousands of carp involved in the spawn and almost zero anglers targeting them so that the overall effect of fishing a spawning area is simply not significant.

But the "delicate" bit isn't true in general AFAIK and I can't even think right off of any specific species where that is the case.

[ 27. February 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What I meant by Delicate, was that the bellies of the female carp can be very distended indeed. If handled badly when out of the water, severe damage CAN occur. I know they bash about when mating, but that's a different thing to resting a big fat belly on the ground (or mat).

Dunk Fairley

Ah - makes sense when you say it that way.

Never though of it since spawning time is warm water time over here and very few of my fish ever leave the water. Unhooked in the landing net near the bank or at the side of the boat and released from there.

But do bear in mind that where dragoncarp is from, fish are plentiful and not owned. I know from other postings of his that he tries to take care of carp. I do too. But the reality over here is that an occasional dead fish only matters to the angler and only if he/she cares about the fish. Otherwise, it's pretty much a non-issue.

Not at all like your situation in the UK where it does matter and greatly to the fishery owner and to other anglers that will never have a chance at that fish if it is seriously damaged.

Even in the few lakes/ponds we have that are owned and stocked it is less of an issue because carp can be bought for about 30¢ - 65¢ (£0.2 - £0.5) per pound for fish to over 20 pounds.

[ 01. March 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'll not go too far into the cost of stock carp in this country, but small fish (English bred)are really cheap. Trouble is, investors (fishery owners) want an instant return on their investment, which is why they stock larger fish. These larger fish cost silly money, which is why we've ended up with the despicable trade in smuggled fish.

Dunk Fairley

Pesonally I would not get any pleasure in catching spawning carp. I have been fishing at times when you could reach into the water and lift the carp out. While in the act of spawning they have little regard for anything else going on, and could easily be foul hooked if a bait was dropped amongst them.

They do take time out for a rest and a snack, and that is a more appropriate time to catch them. :)