braided line

merlino     bill

can anybody tell me how to convert braid into nylon it's the size i mean e.g if i bought 15lb braid is it the same as 15lb nylon but would'nt strech & would i be able to get more or less or the same on a spool does that make any sense :D

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

the line will always have the diameter printed on the box or spool (or both) and the spool that you intend to fill with braid will also have capacity by diameter as well as mono poundage

thanks jeepster i'll check my spool's and the braid box i must sound like a right divvy but im still learning. as for braid it just seem's to be the nexed step for big carp cheers.

merlino

no one ever minds answering questions on here, so don't worry about sounding like a divvy, trust me, there are some REAL divvies on here, you'll meet them soon enough

Errrr, what are you on about jeepster ?

:D :confused: :D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Hi merlino and welcome to AN.

I'm a huge braid fan and almost never use anything else for my mainline. You are absolutely correct that the smaller diameter will allow you to load lots more of it on a spool.

One thing to bear in mind though - the abrasion resistance of any line is at least partly a function of the line diameter. Good braids seem to be more resistant than a mono of the same diameter but a very fine braid will simply not be very abrasion resistant so you really need to match the braid diameter to that of a mono you find suitable. You can go some smaller but if you match diameter, you'll be unhappy with how easily the line is damaged by fishing anything but open water and soft bottom.

Take a look at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/powerpro.htm to get details and suggestions from a professional US bass angler. I use the same brand for carp and catfishing and agree with his assessment.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

that is noy only brilliant newt but verry informative and iv'e already took a copy of the braid v mono table for further reference once again thanks for taking the trouble i appreciate it. i think im going to like this fourum.

cheers merlino

Bear in mind that those figures are only for PowerPro although most of the similar lines are about the same.

Some braids (Fireline for instance) have a slightly larger diameter for a given b/s so you really need to check the box and compare.

Glad you are enjoying the forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President