Help needed?? UK kid carpin in the states

Hi everybody,

I`m new to the site so i though i`d post a topic for you all to help me with, if you can? I am from the UK and have been an avid carper for around 3 years. I have a limited experience though as this was when i was younger. I just started carping again as i moved to the USA three years ago so after a lay off i am coming back to the game. I have just bought myself some basic carp tackle from a store ove rhere that does carp gear. I am targeting a group of Koi Carp of between 5 - 15lbs with the odd bigger one, the lake is around 6-8 acres, with a muddy bottom and a few margin features, the carp tend to saty in the top surface layers during the daylight hours, so generally are uncatchable as it is blistering heat out here then ( sioux city, IA,) I am planning a evening trip from about 6.30 until the park closes at 10.oopm Does anyone have any idea how i can tempt one in this short amount of time. I know they are unpressured but i am unsure whether they`ll take a boilie?? as they probably aint seen one ever? Maybe someone out there can help? Thanks alot TOM

Welcome to the site Tommy

This is a question for our unique........Newt!

Tommy, he's a carp angler in the US whom i'm sure would love to share his knowledge of the scene in that part of the world.

:)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Are you allowed to chum in Iowa? If yes then I'd recommend surface baits like bread, dog biscuits, marshmallows etc. It may take a few baiting trips to get them eating the bait confidently, but if you can get the carp to take them it's one of the best ways to catch carp.

If you're not allowed to chum then you can always say you're feeding the ducks :D

Can I aso recommend that you vist the Carp Anglers Group web site - a site devoted to catching carp in the USA (and worth a read even if you aren't in the USA)

[ 01. May 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Tommy - welcome to you. Do try the link DavidP gave you. Forum similar to this one but US carping for the most part with some UK carpers who contribute and try to keep up on the straight & narrow path. :D

I know of avid carpers in lots of States near you but none others in IA. Still, there are probably a few.

You'll be dealing with mostly commons and as you know, mostly fish that have never seen a hook before. German strain stocked in the early 1800s and then pretty much left alone.

It's really odd over here. Some waters are great boilie waters from the beginning. Others, you have to take a couple of months to educate the fish. And some just never get good results on them.

I have yet to catch my first fish on a boilie. But I've been doing really well fishing Range Cubes on a hair. The things are comnpressed cattle feed with molasses used as a binder. Hard enouggh that you have to take your 1/4" drill and a small bit to make a hole in them but they'll hold up great in the water for 2-4 hours depending on temperature. I know up your way you can buy a 50lb bag of them at any feed store for $6-7.

For later in the year and if you can make the drive, the grandaddy of US carp fish-ins is held in Chicago September 26, 27, 28. Also fairly close to you (well, comparatively close)

- Aug 2-3 Wisconsin Fish-In Fort Atkinson, WI

- June 28 CAG Invitational - MO S. Central Region Springfield, MO-Fellows Lake

and a bunch of others.

We are a traveling bunch. I'm doing one in South Carolina in early June and another in Virginia at the end of June.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

welcome to the site Tommy

if allowed i would chum a couple days before you plan on fishing, if you can. I wouldn't worry about trying boilies at first, try catching them with basic baits like sweetcorn,bread etc. I think that for most waters here in the states you don't even need boilies.

also take a look at the link davidP had given you for the carp anglers group, their is also a forum on their website

their is also a fox carp tackle dealer here in the states www.wackerbaits.com Paul sells just about everything you need for carp fishing :D

Tommy

Think back to when boilies where unheard of. Natural baits are more likely to catch those carp than piling shedloads of boilies on there heads.

As you say the fish show on the surface then like its been said here try chum mixer and get them feeding on it. Make sure there hoovering the stuff up and they are feeding confidently on it b4 thinking about casting a hookbait.

Bread sweetcorn worm maggots anything along those lines will and still do catch carp the world over so dont ignore them .

Good luck.

Thanks alot for all the advice, i will try surface fishing before it gets too dark, I`ve got six days of college semester left b4 i can go so watch this space. I am really anxious to get back to the UK and pick up all my carp tackle in early June so then i go night fishing proper like. I love stalking too it is fun. When i went back to England last summer i caught three carp, 8lb 9oz, 15lb2oz, and one a little bigger, but unfurtunately cant claim it as my record because did get to weigh it. This summer my aim is to get up into the high teens for my UK personal best. Any US carpers no of how to locate carp in rivers over here? In England the water is so much clearer and the river i`ve looked at fishing is so mud colored and not many features, but i have seen a few dead carp floating about? Any good river tactics for the US?

the one river I fish here in the US has some what clear sections and some parts are kind of muddy looking, but what I do for the muddy looking sections is try to be there at sunrise or sunset and see if I can spot any carp jumping,rolling etc.