small motors?

Tatiana G

Dear Sir/Madam,

Can anyone tell me what type of small motor would best suit a slow spinning motion.... about the rpm of a record player on fast speed.

Can you control the speed on a standard 9v small motor to turn slower?

Best Regards

T ;o)

quote:

Can you control the speed on a standard 9v small motor to turn slower?

err yes you use a pot or a speed controller ,the pot uses resistance to supply less volts thus a slower motor ( but nature and ohms law dictates that its not the best way but the cheapest) a speed contoller can use several methods ,pulses , pots and other "tricks" to slow the motor ,the other way is to use a gearbox to slow the "output" of the motor this is generally the most eficient method and ofcourse the way that the power output is most easily controlled :)

the electric output is watts the higher the wattage the more powerfull the motor, a 9v motor can do 21,000 (or more) rotations per min but this is with low torque a few hundred or less rpm will result in a higher torque ,a motor from a battery drill is very good both in that it has good torque but also it has a built in speed controller ,this is a good way of obtaining all the bits needed to play :)

but as usual the more you pay the better the out put ( better motor)for the same voltage ,generally the windings in a good motor can carry higher currents than in a poor one

[ 18. March 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Tatiana,

you not up to your inventing again?

Sounds to me like you are trying to make an electric reel!!!

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

thank you chesters!

By just playing around with motors and batteries i have found 1XAAA battery powers a standard 9 or 3v motor (need to find out) to a slow speed required. Added torque applied has also provided resistance to slow it. My only concern now is how long a 1X AAA battery would last?

If 2 batteries are required I could simply put a fat resister in the connection and hopefully have the same speed etc.

Would 1X AAA batter in the conditions said last long?

Thanks guys!!

T ;o)

if you use a resistor you would just turn 1 sort of battery drain into 2 (ohms law) yes the resistor would drop the speed (a pot is a variable resistor) but the resistor would "resist" and therefore the battery would have to work harder to "push" the electric to the motor (in laymans terms) and the torque would be very low :( as i said a 9v power drill would be best , lots of battery ampage, and the "trigger" is also a speed controller with carefull "tuning" you can go from (about) 1 rpm to full speed the drill will still have the same torque (ish) whatever the speed as thats what its designed for :)

and ofcourse you can drill holes in your flat for pictures or shelves ,something a 9v battery on a AAA will never do :)

the best way to find out how long the battery will last is to run the thing under its normal working load ,when it stops thats the time the battery lasts :D dont you just love R&D :D

how did you apply torque using the AAA :confused:

[ 21. March 2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson