I'm going to a lake with smaller commons, help with rigs?

UJ Supanova

Hi

I'm going on a smallish lake tomorrow morning, the Carp are small, biggest around 12lbs i think, mostly commons with some mirror and some crucian, also has tench, pike, perch, roach and big bream.

hoping to go for the common/mirror carp.

i've got 8mm boilies, fishmeal pellets (6mm, 4mm, 1mm), sweetcorn, boosted luncheon meat, brown crumb and hempseed.

i was planning to use a mix of the brown crumb, hemp, sweetcorn and smaller pellets in a method mix with either the boilies or sweetcorn hair rigged.

what do you think?

That will do but I would rather use a bigger sizes boilies like 12 or 14mm but sayimg I think your plan will be ok if you use the hair rig boilie than the sweetcorn

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

thank for the response.

i would use bigger boilies, but i have none left! i'm getting some delivered on Tuesday, i forgot it was bank holiday tomorrow and was expecting them in the morning! doh!

i'm only using a size 14 hook with the smaller boilies as i'm not expecting too many big carp, maybe up to around 8-10lb is average.

the tench and bream are more common in there, might try the boosted luncheon meat later on.

well i tried a number of methods today, without a lot of carp tackle i might add, which is the reason i used 14 hooks, they're the biggest i have until tomorrow morning, when i will get a load of decent carp tackle including braid hair rigs with size 8 hooks and a load of 14mm boilies etc. etc.

I tried the method, blanked.

I tried open ended feeders, blanked.

I tried mixers off the top, blanked.

I tried a float with 2 nuggets of corn and a pop-up, blanked.

all in all, not a good days fishing.

had a couple of small roach in the margins.

I know a size 8-10lb Carp is a decent fish and will fight like crazy, they're not small, but they are smaller than the ones you regularly hear of on here.

anyway, i'm going back tomorrow with all my new carp tackle and baits etc.

got a load of safety clips coming in the morning aswell, and some pva string, should be ok tomorrow.

hi uj supanova

with the method you should keep it in on a day session for about 5 to 6 hours if you dont get dropbacks or runs(bites)and 3 to 4 hours with an open feeder and a cuople of hours with a float because when you put a bait in you should leave it because the carp wont just take it hey will see it and if there not hungry the will no its there and they will come back to it wenever they want and if you put bait in with it they will see it maybe take a couple and go for as long as they want so if you take it in and put it back then they will sence that its been moved and wont take it

j.green