Starting fly fishing

Errrm

Hi,

I went down a local pond today and while I was walking around all I wanted to do was to get back on the river bank so I've decided to have a look at possibly starting fly fishing. I have access to quite a lot of the river dove below Burton and which contains trout plus the normal coarse fish. How feasible would it be to buy the equipment and go down the river bank after reading some articles about casting, presentation and setting up and having a good chance of catching after a few attempts?

Also I was looking at the following website and they seem to have a lot of good offers on fly rods and other stuff (I've used them before for coarse equipment and they are good) can anyone recomend either a combo outfit or a selection of equipment to point me in the right direction.

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fishin...fishing-combos/

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fishin...y-fishing-rods/

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Game-Fishing-Tackle/

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fishin...-fishing-reels/

Thanks for any help.

Neil

Have a look at the starter kits at www.yga.yorks.com. I got one last year and haven't regretted a single penny.

Not sure about starting on a river, depends on space available for casting, who else might be walking by. I'd suggest starting on a still water with an hour or so's paid tuition.

I agree, starting on a river might be tricky. A stillwater would be lots easier. However, once you've got the basics sorted, get on that river asap! It's the best way possible to while away the closed season. River trout fishing in spring is bliss.

Ideally, find someone who you can go with who can show you the ropes. Failing that, get a decent cover-all outfit and read up on casting techniques and practice yourself. That's how I learned, but I have to admit that a couple of hours with a casting instructor would have saved me many, many frustrating days of my line landing in heap at the rod tip!

I'd say a decent outfit for both stillwater and river would be a 9' #5/6 rod with a cheap reel (don't waste money on them, they just hold the line), a floating line (do spend a bit of money on the line - a decent line will make it all so much easier) and the bits and pieces like leader connectors (I've got a load of spare ones if you want?) and some tapered leaders, and flies of course. Use your coarse fishing landing net etc.

I reckon with some casting practice and the right fly selection - assuming there are a decent amount of trout in the river - you'd be in with a good chance of catching something.

I would recommend a few trips to a stillwater first, and try to go with someone who can advise.

Definitely do it though!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I agree, starting on a river might be tricky. A stillwater would be lots easier. However, once you've got the basics sorted, get on that river asap! It's the best way possible to while away the closed season. River trout fishing in spring is bliss.

Ideally, find someone who you can go with who can show you the ropes. Failing that, get a decent cover-all outfit and read up on casting techniques and practice yourself. That's how I learned, but I have to admit that a couple of hours with a casting instructor would have saved me many, many frustrating days of my line landing in heap at the rod tip!

I'd say a decent outfit for both stillwater and river would be a 9' #5/6 rod with a cheap reel (don't waste money on them, they just hold the line), a floating line (do spend a bit of money on the line - a decent line will make it all so much easier) and the bits and pieces like leader connectors (I've got a load of spare ones if you want?) and some tapered leaders, and flies of course. Use your coarse fishing landing net etc.

I reckon with some casting practice and the right fly selection - assuming there are a decent amount of trout in the river - you'd be in with a good chance of catching something.

I would recommend a few trips to a stillwater first, and try to go with someone who can advise.

Definitely do it though!

Thanks, I've looked for a local still water i.e. comercial type as I guess it will be easier to start there, but I can't find any in leicestershire. Does anyone know of anywhere near me that would do tuition?

The simplest and best bit of advice I could offer you is firstly have a few lessons they are not dear and will have you catching in no time.Secondly dont fall into the long cast trap ten yards with good presentation is far better that fifteen and a mess, take your time if it feels hard work your doing it wrong, all the time the fly is in the air its not going to catch a fish dont be tempted to keep on false casting all you wil do is get wind knots and catch foliage trees fight like demons but you never land them!! and beware its adictive.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Thanks, I've looked for a local still water i.e. comercial type as I guess it will be easier to start there, but I can't find any in leicestershire. Does anyone know of anywhere near me that would do tuition?

Some great advice from everyone in this topic. If you are looking for some tuition, check our details at: - http://www.midlands-flyfishing.co.uk/tuition.htm

Watermark is not that far a drive from you and a good grounding in the basics will soon see you hitting the river after a little practice.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Some great advice from everyone in this topic. If you are looking for some tuition, check our details at: - http://www.midlands-flyfishing.co.uk/tuition.htm

Watermark is not that far a drive from you and a good grounding in the basics will soon see you hitting the river after a little practice.

Steve

You should try Congleton & District Fly Fishers Westlow Mere http://www.westlowmere.co.uk they give free leasons and provide the equipment for poeple starting fly fishing. The people there are good humored and very help full.