Visiting London from the US

Donfish

Don - I was lucky enough to have lots of native guides when we made our UK trip - at about the same time you are making yours. Internet friends from this forum that I knew pretty well but had never met took us in hand and showed us some great fishing. I'd have loved to make the trip during the open season to get in some river fishing but airline fares went up sharply from May 01 so we made a late April visit.

Otherwise, I don't know if I'd have caught a fish even though I've been at it for over 60 years. Very different conditions in the UK and this North Carolina boy would have been seriously lost. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Ive been thinking allnight but just cant come up with a suitable venue to sugest/take you to for the chance of a pike. Same as when Newt was over this time of year isnt the best for a bit of piking. The closed season on the rivers obviously puts them out and a lot of pike waters give the pike a rest during the summer months.

Maybe a few hours "float fishing" the "traditional" English fishing method with delicate tackle and maggots for bait would be a better bet.Even though Im often up near Heathrow Im down in Ashford this comming week as Im off to a local water mid week. There are plenty from around that area here on AN hopefully if anyones got some free time then they will be able to take you out to a course fishery?

So sorry I cant be of more help.

As an after thought you might also be able to get a bit of fly fishing for trout in as well as there are several trout waters near there and most sell day tickets and do tackle hire.Some even offer a guiding service.If I get time today I will have a quick look for you.

Heres one thats quite close to Heathrow-

http://www.alburyestate.com/syon.aspx

If its any use to you try asking for more info on it on the Fly Forum.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A lot of the article I referred to earlier was unreadable due to a gremlin. Elton has now fixed that. The link is at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...an_angling.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

hi don,

The only place I can think of is Farlows which is day ticket and has pike, there are other day ticket waters around here but mainly carp and mixed fishing, lizard lakes. these I would say are the nearest, that are open.

mick

Wow thank you all for all of your input. I have covered a Ton of information these past 2 days and think that

without first atleast observing and asking alot of questions about local regulations gear and practices I can't really just stop in for a day and catch a few fish off the side of a road. I think our fishing here is a bit less formal but then again I have 35 years of fishing experience here and am trying to jamb 100's of years of tradition and development into parts of 2 days.:lol:(Typical American eh?)wait thats canadian slang...:rolleyes:

These courier trips come up a few times a year and with the current economy I might be taking them more often. I'm gonna try to see what I can workout to head up to Farlows(Thanks Mick ;))and see if they'll let me look around as I speak fishing just fine down in Baja Calif and don't speak spanish :rolleyes: So English should be an easy enough barrier for me.:fish: Pesos Pounds Dollars all speak the same in fishing.B)

Leaving in about 24 hours weather looks like it might clear enough for a quick Weds look around before I have to be at the airport for my return flight. Maybe next time a few days layover a rental car and appropriate gear.B)

Thank you all again for your time and research and if ever you will be in the LA Calif area of the US and want to checkout the local surf fishing scene either I or my mates at SCsurffishing.com would be more then happy to take a brother angler out and put them on a few fish I have the same screen name there so its easy.

Don

Beyond my last post I'll be staying at the comfort hotel couple miles er a kilo beyond up n right as the map goes of the airport won't be bringing gear as it would be less then optimal. Hangin with fellow fishers is always cool. Donfish is what I'll leave in the lobby for contact.Will check in around 2pm London time and out around the same unless I get jacked to fish the morn. Weds.B)

I'll check the replies before I jet and thatnk you all or the suggestions.

Don

One thing that wasn't mentioned because the Brits all assume that everyone knows and because I evidently took a little nap is that fishing rights to almost every drop of fresh water in the UK are owned by someone. Other than some officially tidal portions of rivers, you will need to pay someone when you want to fish.

Another thing is that other than trout, they basically do not ever keep fish. Since they are probably owned by whoever owns the fishing rights, it would be theft. C&R is so ingrained it isn't even a concept.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

One thing that wasn't mentioned because the Brits all assume that everyone knows and because I evidently took a little nap is that fishing rights to almost every drop of fresh water in the UK are owned by someone. Other than some officially tidal portions of rivers, you will need to pay someone when you want to fish.

Another thing is that other than trout, they basically do not ever keep fish. Since they are probably owned by whoever owns the fishing rights, it would be theft. C&R is so ingrained it isn't even a concept.

At first on the wording and the way a local friend who has fished there made it sound it was a Catch and kill only Zone. I have no problem with catch and eat but with the invent of digital cameras and my eldering statehood I'm all about Responcible Catch Photograph and Release for more sporting catches(CPR) where Wahoo aka Ono and swordfish are about the only 2 that would have to grace my table. I Fish the ocean 99.9% of the time. Most all of people who dare post they caught a fish in the boards I am part of release all or most of what they catch and never take full daily bag limits unless they can use them all for a big fish fry or such. It's been over a year since I've taken a fish for table fare and thats just because I don't care to eat most fish. I'd rather catch em take a quick pic and let em get on their way.The Baitfish I catch to fish the Surfsharks have to die and are used. and the sharks are caught photographed and released to hassle the dumb local surfer that needs to surf where I'm catching sharks....

I notice alot of differant fish being infused there but this place is like 40 miles up the road from me and i haven't fished it in 25 ++years.Its the anti christ of tradition...http://irvinelake.net/irv/vt.php?t=3

Germany, from what I read, is pretty much catch & kill - some sort of rule. Yuck.

Wave when you fly over the East Coast. :D :D