net dipping spooking fish

thornabyangler

i was fishing a match today.Perfect conditions,sun out,slight ripple and a pond full of f1 and ghosties.

The keepnets we were using was the fisheries own which i am told were dipped pre match.

The winning weight of the match was 12lb4oz to my 5lb 11 oz which realy shocked me.

What shocked me even more was when we fished on when the nets were out and i caught over 100 fish to 3lb.

Could it be that the net dip was spooking or even putting fish off the feed?

Going down the line i found every1 had the same effect.

Has any1 else had this happen?

Guest Ferret1959

Fish ain't stupid, they know the sound of the nets going in and say to each other," Bloody match again I'm off for a nap".

When they think it's all over and the nets are out away they go munchin on the bed of food layed out for them. :D

I wouldn't say it's the dip as it would linger on for quite some time after the nets were removed.

Peter Waller:

The net dip must surely be a toxin of some type, and probably must release a scent. You could well be right.

The concentration in the fishery resulting from umpteen dip-soaked nets going in daily could well reach significant levels.

Given the huge investments that have gone into creating, stocking and maintaining fisheries, surely someone, somewhere, has done some research into the short and long-term effects of net dips on fish stocks - and on other forms of water life.

Bruno?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I fish a local dam which is packed with fish of all sizes and species - it is a literal aquarium of fish ..

we get the same issue too, when match fishing . . however, we do not dip.

I think alot of fish in commercial dug and engineered ponds rely greatly on the outer periphery of the lakes and when a net enters this it causes uncertainty in the fish's behaviour.

I wonder if the same number of nets were placed around the centre of an Island etc if the same result would happen . . and not just directly in front of your feet

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

ohh and on mylast session some on stepped on his brothers pole and smashed a section, lets just say a few choice words were heard around the lake and the pole killer got a catpult smashed round his head by his brother.

on the subject of poles where can i buy a universal fittng top2 kit.

[ 06. September 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: ben88 ]

hmmmm really

I haven't done any direct research into the impact of keepnet dip on fisheries - and I doubt that anyone else has - but the evidence gives it the 'all clear' when used properly. Thus, many of the most prolific match fisheries insist that nets are dipped and rinsed before use... and this procedure doesn't seem to depress catches there.

I do agree that dipped but UNrinsed nets could carry some of the dip solution into the fishery, and this could caused an adverse reaction in fish (in theory, anyway). That is why the standard advice of rinsing a dipped net in clean water is important.

Moreover, fishery managers seem keen to try all sorts of dip solutions, without any real idea of why they are using them (other than the old chestnut "My mate up the pub says this is what they all use".

A dilute solution of an iodophore (= iodine-releasing solution) is the recommended dip. I have come across people who swear by Jeyes fluid, and Dettol (honestly), and it wouldn't surprise me if one day I encounter an advocate of Domestos!

It is also valid to speculate that if there is an effect of using dipped but unrinsed nets, it may well be via contamination of your hands (and hence your bait) as a consequence of handling the nets.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'