Carp Society Reinstate Support For SAA

Elton

I thought that, well, I really did think that you, Lee, was apparently going off the rails re the SAA & CA! I can normally see humour in most things, but for once, no, didn't see it, sorry.

Piscators Opposed to the Countryside Alliance P.O.C.A., will that do?

Ordinary Anglers For Angling, O.A.F.A., that has a nice ring about it surely?

Why is the Carp Society staying with the CA? You may well ask! Who's idea was it?

More importantly, who's idea was it that the Carp Society rejoin the SAA, especially as the SAA is gaining credibility?

Heard an interesting interview on Radio Suffolk the other day. The interviewer asked a Lady, very clearly a CA supporter, why hunting and fishing was featured at a Country Show aimed at introducing school children to country life and the role of the country in supplying food. Brillient concept but I felt that there was a slight (!) hesitation re fishing. The lady in question is a Lady, and probably a very nice one. That little hesitation worried me. People from 'upstairs' don't pander to those from 'downstairs' unless there is something in it for them. Whilst angling is still acceptable we have our value. If we cease to be acceptable, and of negative value, we will be dropped, agreed?

[ 29. April 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peter what have you got against the CA? whether people consider it as such or not angling is a field sport and that is the CA's primary objective in protecting field sports. personally i have little truck in fox hunting and dont even shoot foxes, but i do go shooting for other things and i agree with Lee, the CA is so much more a professional and well organised organisation as to make ours look like the two cans and a string affair that it undoubtedly is!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Hi Mark, my firm belief is that the Countryside Alliance wants angling for one reason only, our numbers. I'm convinced it has ulterior motives in doing so, namely to take onboard a form of hunting that is largely seen as acceptable, whilst its main thrust remains in protecting an unacceptable form of hunting, namely fox hunting with hounds. Angling is hunting, you don't want to ban that, so why ban fox hunting? Whilst we are acceptable to Joe public we have value in our very numbers. I have no doubts whatsoever that we are very cynically being used.

but why not turn that around pete. i dont disagree with you that the primary reason for wanting angling in the fold is for the numbers that we bring with us, but we could use the users in that really the only reason that we want CA involvement is for their money and far superior PR, once they start to flag, which i cant see as there is just so much money in the CA, then we could resign from them.

personally i am with you Peter up to a point in that i would far, far prefer angling to be doing it for itself, however as much as i am an avid supporter of the SAA and its aims, i will be the first to admit that it cant stand on the same stage as the CA as of yet. also of course there is the unity bit, in that the SAA doesnt represent all anglers.

maybe we will get there one day!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Dear Chaps,

The CA is strapped for cash in as much as how long it takes them to whip up existing support to raise more cash. This has ALWAYS been the way CA operates. I live slap bang in the middle of CA fund raising country and I can tell you all absolutely, these people have the ability to raise funds quicker than it takes a camp fire to burn miles of forest in a tinderbox. Like em or not, these people do what they do in a very determined way. I remember someone in SAA telling us all that the CA was "strapped for cash" two years ago. Don’t believe that one Peter. With one wave of a hand they can generate more money than UK angling has seen EVER!!

I believe, or though it saddens me to say it, Peter might be right in his assumptions of what the CA might want coarse angling numbers for. But then again, let’s look at this aspect closer.

The plain fact of the matter is that the majority of angling's rank and file numbers in the UK "ARE" up for grabs. Very few are individual members of the NFA, SAA, NAFAC, ACA, S&TA, etc etc. Add up all the individual members in all the supposed angling political organisations and it’s a very tiny minority of the overall majority that make up UK angling. Now that’s an awful lot of none-member anglers to go after. No small wonder that the CA makes attempts towards getting them into their ranks?

Trust me here when I say that the first organisation that wins the hearts and minds of the UK angling majority into their ranks will be a very powerful voice. So why haven't our own NAA guys gone down this route then? Why haven't they even tried this route? Frankly, I see the present set up as the most cock-eyed system we could ever come up with!!

Why on earth would you want to create what is supposed to be a UK umbrella organisation representing our nation’s anglers then forget to ask anyone if they would like to join up as an individual member?? Why by pass these massive numbers completely?? Why create a UK umbrella organisation in the first place knowing 100% that it would never receive any effective funding?? Why castigate those that suggest effective funding via individual membership?? Some sigh and say we'll get there in the end. How much time are we allocated?

Like it or not, the CA have thrashed us on the PR front. Thrashed us on the organisational front. Thrashed us on the fundraising front. Thrashed us on the individual membership support front. Thrashed us TOTALLY on the united front!! There are no fronts left to conquer. Apart from one.

Does anyone think a Tory government will come into power unsympathetic to the CA cause? Does anyone assume that a Tory governmental/ministerial door won't be left ajar for the CA to walk through? Perhaps now one can see the wisdom and foresight of the CS stance? They said that they are providing the very best political representation for their members? This CS board of directors are very wise indeed and their overall political strategy has bordered on the brilliant. They have placed their member’s political representational interests in a no loose situation.

My concern ultimately lies in their need for doing so in the first place. By now we should have just the ONE UK umbrella organisation that anglers belong to. It should have included all individual anglers and their clubs, groups, societies etc. Be totally self funded, well respected and all powerful. Had paid professionals working for the membership. All we've got are the same excuses and same "put them downs" when someone questions direction and suggests change.

Sadly, I can see others following the CS strategy when they see how clever they have been. After all, most organisations tend to look after their membership's interests. This will result in more splits, more division. Exactly what I predicted over two years ago.

Self funding for angling. It really is the only way forward.

So that’s me in the political dog house again. Oh well.

Regards,

Lee.

We’re out the trees. We’re coming.

Back to the top again. If only to give those obviously either away on holiday, asleep, drunk or fell into quicksand on the way home, the chance to come up with some half convincing excuses to tell us why the CA have completely overtaken us.

Here's something else that proves a point;

Go into any city, town, market town, or village pub and shout out, "ANYONE HEARD OF THE COUNTRY SIDE ALLIANCE?"

Then one week later go into the same pubs and shout "ANYONE HEARD OF THE NATIONAL ANGLERS ALLIANCE?"

I've actually asked that very same question not in pubs and bars, but along river banks sometimes teeming with anglers. Almost to a man most had heard of the CA. NONE knew anything about the NAA or even knew of its existence!!! NFA yes. NAA could have been a bus company for all they knew.

Does the NAA share an office with the Carlsberg complaints department?

Something else quite alarming as well to think about;

Government officials, ministers, civil servant departments etc all rely heavily on polls now a days as effective tools to employ when forming policy decisions. So what might government think when they ask poll organisations to ask the public, "Have you heard of the Countryside Alliance and if so what do you think of them?" Or, "Have you heard of the National Anglers Alliance and if so what do you think of them?".

Not all that hard to imagine the importance government might apply to any organisation the public haven't even heard of is it?

Now imagine the CA if it managed to get UK angling's majority behind it? Imagine this if a Tory government came to power?

Can you now see just how skillful the carp boys have been?

Like it or not the CA have been gathering tremenous momentum whilst our efforts have been what? You tell me!!

Of course. I'm the loonie that no one should listen to. But I'm the loonie that ain't gone away and hasn't changed his course for one single second. Self funding for angling within its own national umbrella organisation IS the ONLY way. Self funded by individual anglers NOT self appointed quango's that fail everytime they try and join together.

Ordinary anglers ARE the majority. And its high time that someone within UK angling politics said so and tried to actually do something about winning their hearts and minds!!

Because if they don't, the CA will. Rest assured on that score.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear ALL.....especially Lee

I thought that someone was doing just that exact thing......however, maybe here ain't the place to find the ulimate success.

Why do I state the above, regarding this site as the banging drum.....well, it's been banged on here for ages now and there is still no one or nothing carrying the tune away and gathering impact.

Lee, me thinks you are gonna have to form a new vehicle for this PR machine and dream concept of a new and all powerful angling organisation. All for one and one for all......nope, even the CS couldn't decide where to place their two feet......hedging bets don't come near to being clever...just indecisive...and offering a compromise to part of their membership it looks like.....I seem to remember the CS being the flagging ship for the minimum £1.00 per member subscription rate towards the SAA.....well, it's down to 50P now....there must be a sale on....or else they are saving up towards their subscriptions for the 'new' all governing body that you desire, others find desireable, yet no one seems to want to form.

Lots discuss it.....none embrace the concept and then go about forming the one angling organisation that is called for by yourself and a few others.....they just shout from their small raised boxes....like the speakers in Hyde Corner.

Don't think anyone is on holiday or asleep......maybe drunk.....but either way, no one jumping up and down shouting "here's my three quid, now what can I do to help".

Keep banging Lee......I think others just keep on going fishing.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

PS.....No grief intended....just observing what is obvious from this distance.

Get in your car...drive 50 miles south....look backwards and tell me if you see signs of a following army....bet there ain't a dust cloud in sight.

Best to travel up river (Trent) and continue your renovation and conservation work.....more profit in that I fear.